Chapter 18: Seagulls

Chapter Eighteen

To Sunny Springer, nothing could surprise him anymore, not after seeing the beauty of a wolf with golden brown eyes. He'd learn to love the wolves quickly and they accepted him too. He moved into the packhouse with Marshal and they spent a couple of weeks unpacking and settling themselves in. Sunny's room was right next to Leland's but he knew that one day they would share.

As for today, Sunny was greatly surprised when Leland came into his room late at night with a dozen chocolate-covered strawberries. "What's this for?" Sunny looked up, one of his eyebrows raised higher than the other.

"For you," Leland gave them to him, holding a smile that showed a single dimple. "Will you go on a date with me?"

Sunny was surprised he asked. Partially because he had never been asked out on a date before and partially because it was Leland who was asking. That shouldn't have surprised him, but it did.

He nodded, "I would love to."

That's how he ended up in Cliff's car the next day. Leland drove but didn't tell him where he was going. Sunny was eager to know but when they drove out of town, he had a small idea. "The woods?"

Leland laughed and shook his head, keeping his eyes on the dirt road that made lots of noise. Stones hit the side of the black car and Leland knew that he needed to get it cleaned before he returned it back to his dad. "Nope."

Sunny crossed his arms but kept his eyes on the woods. Trees were everywhere, they were surrounded. Sunny admired the sight of each different tree. "Alina?"

Leland made a left turn, onto another dirt road, "I wouldn't take you to Alina on a first date, that's more like a second or third. It's kind of like meeting the parent's situation there."

Sunny looked out of the side window, trying to avoid the small blush that crept from his cheeks. Leland admitted himself, they would be going on more dates. Sunny didn't need to ask again when a huge body of water came into view. He admired the subtle waves and the sight of the sand. Leland was taking him to the beach.

Sunny faced him, his eyes shining with emotion, "you remembered?"

Leland parked the car and leaned back in the seat, facing Sunny, "I will remember anything you tell me."

Sunny smiled a big smile that made Leland stare at his lips. Then, he jumped out of the car, "Come on, Leland!"

Leland chased him to the sand, forgetting about the towels and food he brought for the date. He only focused on Sunny, because Sunny was the only thing that mattered to him. The sun was close to setting, the water reflected a deep orange. Sunny admired it but then he found himself looking at Leland. He hesitated then reached for his hand, "Let's go for a walk."

Leland didn't complain because really, he couldn't. Sunny could tell him to bathe in lemon juice and he would, but he would never tell him that in case Sunny actually told him to. "If you have any questions about werewolves or the whole situation, you can ask," Leland said.

Sunny briefly looked behind his shoulder, "There's more to you than just a wolf."

Leland smiled, "Then ask about me."

Sunny stopped walking and he sat in the sand, Leland next to him. Their hands never parted but their eyes were glued to the water. "What's your favorite thing to do?"

Leland pretended to think, "I love spending time with my family. Mostly Zephan and my cousins."

"I don't have any siblings or cousins," Sunny said.

"Well," Leland leaned back in the sand to stare at the sky where the clouds made pretty shapes with the color of the sun. Sunny followed his movement. "Whatever's mine, is yours."

Sunny laughed, "No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"Do you hear that?" Sunny leaned up, and Leland stayed laying on the sand.

"Hear what?"

"The seagulls."

"Yes?" Leland was confused. Of course, there would be seagulls at the beach, even if the sun was setting at the edge of the water, even if it wasn't summer anymore.

"They aren't swans, but they will do," he laughed and then leaned over Leland. They were so close now, close enough for their breaths to fan their faces, close enough that they could see the details in their eyes and the freckles around their noses. It was close enough for their lips to meet, and that's just what happened. Sunny leaned forward, pressing his lips against Leland's. Just then, everything seemed to make sense. The bond grew stronger, and Sunny felt that he belonged—he belonged in the werewolf world. The kiss was soft and slow, but filled with love.

Sunny pulled back and before Leland could say anything or lean in for another kiss, Sunny ran towards the waves. "What are you doing?!" Leland yelled and laughed at how unreal it was for Sunny to run after their first kiss. He chased after him into the water, and Sunny stared at him with a different glow in his eyes.

Leland caught up and wrapped his arms around him, the water was cold. "Why did you do that?"

Sunny shrugged from under him, "I just wanted to. You make my heart do weird things."

Leland laughed, a full belly laugh, "It's the bond."

"No, I think it's you," Sunny corrected and he blushed at the way Leland was looking at him like he was staring into his soul. He leaned forward and kissed Sunny and this kiss was more fast and demanding, but still sweet.

"What was that thing you said about seagulls and swans?" Leland asked.

Sunny shook his head, "I'm not telling you."

"You have to!" He held onto him tighter so he wouldn't swim away.

"You wouldn't get it!" Sunny protested.

"Just tell me!"

"No!" Sunny fought out of his hold and splashed Leland with water, he splashed back harder.

On the way home, Sunny fell asleep in the car. Leland touched his lip as he drove. Sunny didn't end up telling him about the swans, but he still smiled against his fingers, happy that Sunny made the decision to love him.