Chapter 30: Tea

Chapter Thirty 

When the wolves were busy with training, Sunny liked going for walks around the small town to keep himself busy, and with spring finally here, it meant that there was more for him to do. His main purpose for the day was to check out the town's popular ice cream shop that only opens for the spring and summer months.

He walked inside, a bounce to his step and he looked over all of the different flavours and toppings. He settled for three scoops of rocky road and a mound of candy raspberries.

"Chocolate and sweet things do not mix."

Sunny eyed Shadow who suddenly appeared next to him. He was excited that the boy was talking to him but the urge to argue with him was stronger than the one to greet him excitedly.

"You are missing out," he said, taking a bite and getting chocolate on his lips. "Your name suddenly suits you."

Shadow's lip quirked up slightly, "the same with you."

"It's a compliment," Sunny said. "I'm living my best life."

Shadow nodded with a hum, "I'll have three scoops of cotton candy with marshmallows."

Sunny felt his eyebrows raise, "I take it back."

They left the shop together without discussion. "I like it when the marshmallows freeze," Shadow said suddenly.

"I don't know what to think of you anymore."

Shadow shrugged but didn't say anything and Sunny walked with him down the sidewalk. He didn't know where he was going but he was interested in having a conversation with him.

"So," Sunny started. "Which way are you going?"

"I'm turning at that stop sign over there," He pointed in front of him and Sunny's eyes lightened for a moment.

"Me too," he said. He wasn't lying, he needed to pick up tea for Neo from Alethea and conveniently, she lived in the area.

"So, I heard you're dating Leland," Shadow said.

Sunny felt his cheeks go warm, "Yeah, I am."

"I didn't expect that," he said with a straight face. Sunny wished he could have a second in his mind. Shadow kept his gaze fixed on the street and his hands were unmoving in his pockets. He really didn't know what to think of Shadow, not since the beginning.

"What about you?" Sunny asked. "Are you dating anyone?"

Shadow looked up and met his eyes but just as quickly, he looked away. "No, no one."

"Well," Sunny hummed and looked up at the sky. "If you ever find someone, we could go on double dates."

Shadow scoffed, "when did we become friends?"

"Right now," he grinned at him.

Shadow suddenly stopped and Sunny did too. He realised they were in front of Alethea's house. "Oh, I almost passed her house!"

Alethea sat on the front porch, Kester frowning next to her. Sunny didn't expect to see him there. "Hi, Alethea, Kester."

Alethea offered a wave and Kester gave him a silent nod.

"I'm going to go," Shadow said, pointing his thumb in the other direction.

Sunny frowned, "I'll be quick, I can walk with you after?"

"No, it's okay, I need to go," Shadow shook his head and didn't wait for a response before he was already walking away. Sunny tried not to think too much of it so he went to sit next to Alethea on the porch.