Chapter 26: What It Means To Be A Rogue

Chapter Twenty-Six 

The first rule of being a rogue: Never disobey the alpha. Devlin stared at Neo from his desk. He was supposed to be working but Neo's presence was enough to distract him. The white haired boy chewed on the end of a pen and he read over his school work. It was late at night, the moon peeked over the sky, looking full. Devlin dreaded the sight of it. "It's a full moon tomorrow."

Neo groaned and dropped the pen, "Nathan makes me dread everything."

Devlin laughed, but he agreed.

Rule number six of being a rogue: Never talk about the alpha when he isn't around.

"Do you think he's going to threaten them at the meeting?" Neo asked.

Devlin hummed, "wouldn't be a surprise."

The last three meetings, Nathan tried talking to Sunny and Mackie but he never got a chance with them alone like he wanted. The first time, their soulmates were there to protect them, and the times after that, Ruth never let them leave her sight.

Rule number seven of being a rogue: No secrets from the alpha.

"I don't want you fighting when the first rain comes," Devlin said. "We can make a plan or something."

"Like what?" Neo fought an eye roll. "Nathan is going to find out either way."

Devlin sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "You're an omega, you're not meant to fight, you're meant to heal."

"I'll be fine," Neo said. "Nathan makes me train too, you know."

"And if we lose you then we're screwed," he couldn't look at Neo. "I'm screwed."

"You're a big baby," Neo laughed but his frown crossed his face and a knock came from the door. Devlin gave him a look that said "hide" but the door was already opening.

Hennessy stood on the other end. He was about to say something but his nose scrunched from the sight of Neo, "why is he here?"

"School," Devlin said, facing his back to his brother. He sounded unbothered.

"Since when do you care about school?"

"Since I was born second to you. You had your future planned out the day you were born, I did not," Devlin gave his brother a smile, but he was anything but happy.

Hennessy shrugged and closed the door behind him, "Anyways, I came to tell you that it's supposed to rain in the next week or two. I thought you should know and also Neo, I don't think scribbling is going to help you with your studies."

Devlin groaned, "are you done?"

"One more thing," Hennessy had one hand on the door. His brown locks covered any emotion that could be shown in his eyes. Devlin liked to think he was part robot. "Father found out that Alethea woman who helps with Kester's Pack, is also helping Ruth's, so he's really angry about that."

Devlin rolled his eyes, "Tomorrow will be fun."

Hennessy hummed and opened the door but he quickly closed it again, "between me and you, I think there is something very weird about her."

He left quickly after that. Devlin looked at Neo and he looked back, just as confused.

______________

Theon dreaded the sight of Nathan the next day. His foot tapped on the ground restlessly and he stared at the older alpha with anger written in his eyes. In the centre of the meeting, Sophie went on with how she felt the peace the new spring would bring. The others seemed to agree.