twenty-four

saylor

i rubbed at my eyes as i woke up. i was quick to notice that alex wasn't in the bed with me anymore, which made me frown. i sat up as i stretched and yawned. as i did, i heard alex faintly singing in the living room as they played their guitar, but i couldn't tell what song they were singing.

i got out of bed, and i did my morning routine before i walked out of alex's room. i stood in the doorway for a moment as i looked at alex. they were sitting on the couch as they sang and played their guitar with their phone propped up to record their self. i smiled as i listened to them. now that i was in the same room as them, i could tell that they were singing my love mine all mine by mitski.

i love this song so much.

i walked around to sit in the chair, so that alex could see me, but i wasn't in the frame of the video they were recording. i propped my chin in my hand as i smiled at them. they glanced up at me. there was now a shy smile on their lips even as they continued to sing. they held eye contact the entire time.

"'cause my love is mine, all mine. i love my, my, mine. nothing in the world belongs to me, but my love, mine, all mine."

they finished singing the song, and they leaned forward to grab their phone and end the video. once they did, they set their phone and guitar to the side and held their hand out towards me. "c'mere, darling," they murmured softly.

i got up, and i walked over to them. i laughed a bit as they suddenly pulled me into their lap with my back pressed to their chest. they pressed a kiss to my temple as they wrapped their arms around my waist. "g'morning," they rasped lowly as they buried their face into my neck.

"good morning, baby," i murmured back as i relaxed in their embrace. "if you don't mind me asking, what were you recording for?"

"tiktok. i figured i'd give posting on there a try, but i'm not bothered with announcing that i'm posting. whether they find it or not, i don't care; i'm not tripping either way," they explained.

i giggled at that. "i wish to be as unbothered as you are," i told them, which made them laugh.

"i mean, if they find it, then cool... but if they don't find it, that's cool too," they snickered.

i turned in their arms so that i could look at them. their brows raised a bit, and i smiled before i leaned forward to peck their lips. "i love you," i sighed contentedly.

i watched as they smiled shyly. they quickly moved to hide their face in my neck again. "i love you too," they whispered sweetly.

i found one of their hands, and i interlaced our fingers as they started to press innocent kisses to my neck. i relaxed completely in their hold and enjoyed the moment.

it's been just over a week since the night arlo followed me to my apartment. since then, i've stayed at alex's apartment. besides the two nights of practice that the band has had this week, i haven't left their apartment. i've been too nervous to go back to my apartment.

i just keep replaying when arlo yelled at me, over and over in my head. before he left all those years ago, i don't think he ever yelled at me. it was so unexpected and unlike him.

or... it was unlike the arlo i knew, at least.

amari's words keep ringing in my head too. arlo isn't the same person i grew up with anymore. deep down, i know he's right, but i just can't bring myself to accept that. it hurts to think about.

before i could let myself think about it more and upset myself further, i brought alex's hand up to my mouth to press a faint kiss to their knuckles. "have you eaten yet, lovey?" i asked softly.