#11 Experiments

The night of the attack on Thiya, Soham and Mira bask in the relief that Kavya Krishnan is safe. How bizarre it is that the mansion premises are calm.

The actress' security is blissfully unaware the slasher made his mark. The garden is free from any traces of attack except the grass that's stomped on and turned out of shape. If Thiya hadn't been Kavya's body double, would Kavya be attacked? Both those options are unacceptable.

Soham and Mira's shoulders are slightly hunched as they make their way into the spacious lobby. A glaring suspicion weighs heavily on their minds. None of those in the mansion was targeted as if the target had been Thiya Arun all along. Is this a conspiracy? Was Thiya attacked as a cop, or was it because she was the body double? There are no tangible answers to these questions.

"I hope Thiya is okay," Mira murmurs, plopping on the L sofa. She puts aside her wallet which also carries her gun, and lets the cool air-conditioned air seep into her system with a soft exhale.

Soham allows himself a sigh, easing his shirt collar. Being back indoors and into air conditioning is a reprieve from the sweltering weather outside. What a hot and humid night it had been. Of course, it rained in the vicinity but that only intensified the humidity.

He takes a seat next to Mira, keeping a healthy space between them. It's impossible to forget she kissed him. On the cheek, that is. He's casual about it but the thought returns to him when they are alone together. It only makes him want to act more reserved.

This isn't shyness. He just doesn't want to act on an impulse or let his feelings sweep him away. Or let them intensify. They have a case to solve. But wait, what are his feelings, exactly?

"Is Thiya okay? What did Seyon say?" Mira has other thoughts on her mind.

Is she not conscious ever? I should've asked why she'd kissed me. Soham urges himself to respond to her query under her expectant gaze, brushing off his thoughts.

"Seyon says T for tough as nails. Thiya is fine. They are chasing Asterix. I hope they find a clue."

Mira heaves a sigh

Mira heaves a sigh. "I doubt it. It's bizarre. Did the slasher target just Thiya? At least Kavya is safe."

Soham has no opinions or theories to share. With a bit of shame and guilt, he pulls out a Sherry Maran's novel titled "in love with the mystery from his shirt pocket." The five-inch pocket-sized version is stout, with a purple hardback cover but fits into anyone's pocket. "Seyon gave it to me. Want to read to kill time?"

That's all they can do now. Kill time. Mira understands the situation. Her eyes find the lead couple of the books taking their vantage point behind a tree and the embossed title of the book gleaming golden in the amber lobby lights.

Sherry Maran's novels are popular romance and mystery series written in both Tamil and English. Mira never read them before. But reading one with her colleague? To kill time? Not a big deal but she has to scoot more towards Soham. And she kissed him, no doubt.