#16.3 The truth at last

AN: Short chapter. The confrontation!!

***

"It was you!" Seyon accuses Thiya when they are alone. "You never showed up at our meeting place. I waited for you on the streets all day like an idiot! You never came, Thiya! You stopped contacting me!"

 I waited for you on the streets all day like an idiot! You never came, Thiya! You stopped contacting me!"

"I was sick..."

"Excuses!"

Seyon and Thiya lock eyes again, their expressions filled with undeniable distress.

"I came that day, you know, Seyon..."

Thiya's voice mellows out. She hates herself for sounding weak, even more so for the tear that escapes the corner of her eye. She brushes it off. "I came! You didn't answer my calls or texts that day or the week after!"

Seyon reels back a little, but his reply is firm. "My phone was broken."

"I saw you with a woman outside the plaza while I was running late. She hugged you! And you were smiling at each other!"

"A what—" Seyon trails off. "A woman hugged me?" He desperately scans his memories and realisation dawns on him. The friendly jewellery shop owner at the plaza!

 The friendly jewellery shop owner at the plaza!

"Rubi... Oh come on! A random woman hugging me on the street is enough to make you suspicious of me?"

"What was I supposed to think?" Thiya folds her arms and looks away with a huff. Her heart races like crazy. This is the worst discussion she's ever had in her life. Seyon's bitter chuckle pierces her ears.

"Well, I could cheat you behind closed doors! I needn't have done it on the streets. Rubi only helped me pick a gift for you... More precisely, a ring! I... wanted to propose to you!"

"But I — I still called you after a week. I found out your new number somehow... You went to that camp in Jaipur and... Sethu said—"

"Sethu said what?"

Seyon stares at Thiya, brows furrowed. She looks ready to cry. This is awful. Digging up the past is causing him and her so much pain, but he can only tell it's necessary. They must address the elephant in the room.