#16.2 Cheaters never prosper

In hall 57 that night, the SIT convenes an urgent team meeting to discuss the latest happenings. Dr Shah found no suspicious fingerprints or any notable evidence while examining the envelope. The SIT's inquiries could not determine who delivered the letter to the peon.

"Either way, I'm so glad Thiya is okay..." Mira says from her seat, looking at the others. Sitting next to her is Soham, with Seyon and Thiya seated opposite him. "The situation is bleak! The threatening letter Seyon got and the email Thiya received are not a coincidence."

"Exactly." Soham concurs with Mira as Thiya squirms in discomfort.

She refuses to owe Seyon

She refuses to owe Seyon. She doesn't want him to stare at her with his nose held high. Good thing he's left the topic there and didn't force her to give her thanks. Seyon isn't sadistic, but he can be firm and overbearing when he wants. She thinks he's abandoning it out of consideration towards her. He doesn't react to her jabs anymore, if at all. Ramya's advice was to let it slide, but Thiya's thoughts persist. This would be easier if I hadn't realized I'm still in love with him.

Seyon hangs his head in disappointment as thoughts of the slasher case weigh on his mind. And there's this back-and-forth between him and Thiya. The frustration in his chest is rising by the minute. He curbs it with a sigh, only for it to return the moment he receives the preliminary report from the inspector.

"Forensics is collecting clues at the site." He responds to the curious gazes of his colleagues with a frustrated exhale. "The cameras were too far to identify the park-goer's identity. I should've known we were throwing rocks in the dark. The website is a hoax, too."

The rest of the SIT understands what he meant. He doesn't explain, terming it a waste of time.

"I had the same hunch." Soham's words bring Thiya out of her Seyon centred thoughts. On the other side, Seyon has already renewed his focus.

"Whoever this slasher is, Sey. I know we suspect Aran, but how does he know the inner workings of the SIT?"

Again, Thiya is offended by what Soham is insinuating. The slasher thought she was important to Seyon. Sure, that's the gossip around CBCID. The rumours she didn't deny to avoid the woman on the prowl rumours. Now she and Seyon are the clandestine lovers destined to fall for each other again. The ACP's increasing hostility towards them also suggests he shares this viewpoint.

Fists curled, Thiya dismisses her thoughts. Ruminating won't get her anywhere. Besides, she should be more adamant about squashing her personal feelings. She must banish them to the underworld so they won't ever return. She can't go snapping at Seyon or anyone.

Seyon bobs his head at Soham, breaking his silence. "The slasher seems to know the inner workings of the SIT despite our security measures. Or he's just cleverly using what he knows... Or just following the office gossip. I think we should question Aran. We've gone enough round about."