#10 Bitter truths, Grim realities

Slim fingers encased in satin close around her neck threatening to snuff the life out of her. In the darkness surrounding her, Thiya Arun tries to fend off her attacker. She flails her arms, moves her body hoping to throw off the death promiser, all the time wondering how in the hell did she find herself in this position.

She was patrolling the Krishnan Mansion's garden with Seyon. They were digging around making the most of their night duty together. Seyon thought there was an inside conspiracy, still insisted the weirdo youngster Aran was the slasher.

Asterisk is a 21-year-old kid? Seems unbelievable at this point.

Seyon went to talk with the security officials in their cabin just around the bend. The power went off soon after and she was pounced upon.

A hand, like a vice around her mouth first, then around her neck. The latter is the real trouble, slowly sapping her of her strength.

Thiya digs her heel in the grass, trying to unleash the hidden knife in her boot just as hurrying footsteps and Seyon's panicked voice reaches her ears.

"Thiya!"

Seyon can see her in the dark. Her and her attacker. The slasher, Asterix came again. Or it could be his assistant. Though Seyon will say Asterix works in singularity.

Thiya Arun was the perfect bait. Except she wasn't. Her job as a CID corp is risky enough; she needn't be the guinea pig. He was the one who suggested she be the body double. And he hated himself for that. He put aside his personal feelings and went ahead, all for the case, to lead to what?

There was always room for negotiation. If Thiya Arun refused, there wasn't any solid alternate plan. Oh, he loathes himself now. He should have come up with an alternate plan.

Thiya digs her knife successfully into the slasher's foot. He pulls away with a groan. Her body wobbles just as Seyon pulls her into his arms.

She coughs and sags. He pats her back, readying himself to revive her if needed. To his relief, she takes in gulps of fresh air and doesn't seem to be in need of CPR or emergency services.

"S... Seyon! A...fter him!"

She chokes the words and they sprint after the slasher

***

Summer thunderstorm pitter patters against Seyon's car roof. Headlight beams bathing the dark, desolate roads as they dash speedily after the man who is on roller skates. The slasher jumped off the high wall and viola, he was skateboarding down the street!

Damn, the blackout and the rain. Seyon curses while doubting how effective the CC cams are. Are they in a Hollywood movie or Bollywood? Kollywood maybe. Except that the Chennai roads in the dark and roller skates can't be in sync. Unrealistic.

A swerve to the right, the slasher breaks into a narrow dirt road. Seyon makes an abrupt pinwheel turn making the car tires screech. Thiya holds on to the dashboard though the seatbelt holds her in the seat. The acceleration plummets Seyon forward too, his seatbelt holding him just short of slamming forward.