#8 Sailing rough Waters

"The ACP. What does he want?"

Mira turns to the rest of the SIT as they pile out of hall 57 and approach the elevator.

"He's probably seeing red," says Seyon, pressing a button to the top floor. The elevator doors fall shut after he and the team get in, the car moving up slowly, saving them the trouble of climbing up the stairs.

"He's probably already heard of what happened," offers Soham, causing the group to fall silent.

Thiya remains calm during the elevator ride. Once outside the familiar cabin with the others, she exhales deeply.

"Do the honours." Seyon gesturing with his arm is the cue. She knocks on the hard wooden door once, twists the heavy handle. The officers step inside the ACP's cabin, following her lead.

The ACP pushes aside the pleasantries and gets straight to the point. His strategy has always been that attack is the best form of defence.

"The attack happened while you were on your duty. Kavya's PA is nearly dead." His eyes flare red, his tone a deadly rumble. "Who's responsible? You are. Who's next? Kavya herself?"

Thiya wants to say the attacker was sly. The attack wasn't anyone's fault. Despite vigilance, some mishaps are unavoidable, unfortunate as they are.

"I take full responsibility, sir," Seyon speaks before she can. "This incident happened in my presence."

Thiya wants to say they are both responsible

Thiya wants to say they are both responsible. But there's no room for a second opinion here. No room for an argument with the way ACP is glaring at Seyon.

"Well, I hope you do more than just take responsibility." The ACP says having calmed himself down. "Catch this slasher, Seyon. Take Thiya's help. I heard some unsavoury rumours about you two. Surely, if you can get the rumours going you can get some work done. Can't you?"

Thiya has an idea what these unsavoury rumours are and has enough at this point. "Sir, if I may?" She keeps her tone clipped but polite. "You ought to know there can't be any truth to the unsavoury rumours you're referring to. There usually isn't an ounce of truth to most rumours going around here."

The ACP's stern glare lands on Thiya. "You dare talk back to me, officer?"

"Yes, sir."

"Get out. You and Seyon on your own from here on. Out you go! Soham, Mira won't be on your team anymore. I've already made this decision before you arrived here. They'll look after the symposium preparations."

***

Dejected Seyon and Thiya exit ACP's cabin, leaving Soham and Mira behind as directed. Silence lingers between them until and after they set foot in hall 57.

"Ugh! Look where turning a blind eye to those rumours got us into, Seyon!"

Seyon flicks his gaze towards Thiya. "You should have watched out before blurting out things to the inspector. I only did what I did to save you."