#4 Pieces of Us

Mira Koshik is the only occupant of hall 57 when Seyon enters. Looking chic and chill in her formal chequered shirt and trousers, hair tied in a high pony, she greets him with a good morning, twisting slightly in her swivel chair. Her face is free of exhaustion lines unlike Seyon's which he catches sight of on the reflective surface of his desk.

"Did the thing with ACP sir take you all night, Seyon?"

"All night..." Seyon's voice sounds hoarser than ever. "I had the time to shower and change at my place. Now I need one more extra coffee. Is Soham not around?"

Mira realises this is her first one on one conversation with Seyon in a long time

Mira realises this is her first one on one conversation with Seyon in a long time. They all have been busy working their thing on the case. Apart from the brief introduction they never got to interact. However, this doesn't apply to her and Soham. Heavens are pushing them together. She doesn't know what he thinks, but he's become a good friend to her.

"Soham was here until a moment ago. We were discussing psychoanalysis. You see, I did my majors on the subject. My PhD was on the same topic. Therapy for hardcore criminals: second chances. I was wondering if our killer could have a change of heart too, given a chance."

"I don't think so..." Seyon trails off. Next to him, Thiya's seat is empty. Is she running late? His eyes rest on her framed quote: cheaters never prosper. He clears his throat looking away, running a hand through his still damp bangs, then smoothing a crease in his sienna blazer he just changed into. He's been so busy that there's no time to iron his clothes. Thank goodness there's only one wrinkle here. "Can a psycho change his ways? Not likely, Mira. It's like this quote."

Whatever comeback Mira has is interrupted as Soham enters followed by Thiya. Thiya whines and curses her scooty stopped midway. Soham tells her she's using the junk from eight years ago and must upgrade. shoulders heaving, she thanks him for helping her out and offering her a ride.

Thiya rode with Soham? Seyon and Mira exchange glances. Well, camaraderie is good; they are all teammates.

Thiya plunks down next to Seyon, slightly out of breath

Thiya plunks down next to Seyon, slightly out of breath. He turns to her, itching to begin a casual conversation. "You sound breathless. Did you run all the way here?"