#12 New developments?

Arriving early to the office way ahead of her colleagues has become her new routine now that she owns a bird. Thiya deposits her sling bag at her desk and looks around the empty hall 57. Despite the grind, dwelling into work right away isn't on her agenda. For sanity's sake, she has to steal some moments to unwind. The main hassle is finding a de-stressing distraction to kill the time.

What better efficient means to pass the time than watch the news? Her duties have kept her so preoccupied, she's unaware of the happenings around the city. This extra morning hour is the perfect excuse to fix that flaw.

The gleaming black surface of the AMOLED TV Soham installed the other day catches her eye. God knows how he gets permission to arrange these things! Undeniably, his efforts to make hall 57 a comfortable workplace are commendable.

The news bulletin goes for half an hour, at the end of which comes across an interesting snippet. Thiya's eyebrows shoot up as she hastily presses the record button on the TV remote. Bingo. Here's a video for her colleagues to see when they arrive.

"Check what happened when we were not around. News clippings from this morning's press conference at CBCID. The ACP went live at seven."

Seyon, Soham, Mira stare at the wall-mounted TV, eyes narrowed, brows furrowed, arms crossed across their chests. The ACP's prim and proper visage on the screen isn't pleasing to their eyes, the words coming from his mouth no way appeasing to their ears.

"There is no slasher. No serial killing. These murder suspicions are the works of detective fiction lovers. There's no evidence to prove murder. So no SIT. But yes, we will guard Kavya Krishnan if she requires it."

The ACP brushes off the rumours of the recent attacks on the actress, the concerns of the press, with a wave of his hand, and ends his speech with an underhanded remark: celebrities' suicide is in rage.

"People are getting depressed. The government is already focusing on mental health. Looks like more desperate measures are needed."

Thiya turns off the TV.

"That's the story he wants to sell to the public?" Seyon drops into his chair and takes off his blazer.

"What does this mean?" Mira settles in her seat and drums her fingers against her desk before reaching to adjust her bun

"What does this mean?" Mira settles in her seat and drums her fingers against her desk before reaching to adjust her bun. "Does he want us to solve the case or not?"

Soham grabs the AC remote and tweaks the temperature to a cooler side. "Either way, the ACP has nothing to lose. Why's he doing this?"

"It's okay, guys." Seyon intervenes. "We'll get to the bottom of this. There's a sly, mysterious killer out there. We'll catch him."

"Yeah." Thiya nods, plopping into her chair. "We haven't been officially taken off this case."

Seyon looks at her. "Yeah."