#13.1 Sluething and Saudade

AN: An update after a month.. it came out a bit long but I think there's something amiss... I'm kind of stuck with this story and chapter from a long time now. anyway. I will edit this chapter more hopefullythis week or maybe review it later on in final editing. for now I hope those who are reading like the chapter. ty.... I will try to update soon the next time...

💫**💫

Seyon's father, Harith Kumar, served the Indian navy as a commander before an unfortunate fleet accident killed him and his crew.

Those were the early days of Seyon's high school. An eleven year old Seyon stood proud, not crumbling at the sight of his father's last remains. The hat, badge, megare belongings of his father the navy handed to him were his treasures. In the coming years, he'd become a pillar of support to his mother who worked as an English teacher in the same high school he studied, toiled hard to become a CID cop.

Despite the tragic death of his father, everyone including his mother assumed he was destined for the Indian Navy. But Sherry Maran's novels and some Sherlock Holmes could be the reason Seyon wanted to be a cop. Or maybe it was a sentiment that went beyond patriotism. His sense of justice was too high.

He became a cop not a detective. Thiya had only gotten to know the story a little after they got together. Goosebumps rose on her skin, and her respect for him grew leaps and bounds.

She loved him for his courage, the underlying kindness behind his gruff exterior, adored the grumpy side of him and was okay with his habit of occasional smoking. She'd come to love not just his perks but his flaws. Like the mild scent of cigarettes that clung to him. Like how brash he was at work, recklessly diving into danger. They were perfectly in sync with the last part. Except for his love for a good smoke, their habits and interests pretty much matched.

But then the sincere cop turned to be a womanizer. A cheater. And ruined everything.

Night is otherwise a blanket of darkness against the living room windows of Thiya's apartment if not for the silver streams of the street lighting.

"Why... Why'd I make him sweets on his birthday? He's way too smart. What if he guessed it was I? What would he think?"

Sprawled out on the living room couch, Thiya runs her hands through her pet's plumage as he perches on her stomach

Sprawled out on the living room couch, Thiya runs her hands through her pet's plumage as he perches on her stomach. With the amber ceiling lights dimmed to an eye comfort level perfect for a nap, the air conditioning set to the highest temperature possible, and her comfy pyjamas — sleep is far from her eyes.

"This is bad. Why would I care about the man who dumped me?"

She takes a breath.

"It's not him. It's Uma aunty I care about. She was such a nice lady."

CB listens to her words, cooing in between, catching bits of new vocabulary as he moves to her shoulder. Once or twice, his beak tugs on her hair in a playful way, which she doesn't mind.