#9.1 What our tomorrows hold

As the morning birds chirp against the backdrop of blossoming neem trees and the summer sun steadily warming up, Seyon exits Egmore's Government Super Specialty Hospital. His thoughts revolve around his talks with Kruthi as he moves towards his car. He has new theories about the slasher. But at this point, they are only theories.

***

The dress was unlike anything Thiya Arun wore. She'd donned various outfits — modern to traditional, Kanchipuram sarees to dungarees and jumpsuits. Skirts and blouson tops. But this had an oomph factor they lacked.

She picked the most random outfit Kavya Krishnan threw at her the other day. That, and the oversized goggles, she was the perfect body double.

The chain of events was surreal. Seyon proposed Kavya needed a body double. Everybody approved. Even the ACP. And she fit in the bill.

Her body structure and height were just about right. Slim-waisted, and a thin frame of five-seven. The difference in hairstyle wouldn't matter, Seyon said.

Kavya was hesitant about the idea of having a body double but jumped on the wagon, knowing it was Seyon's. She still is bummed that someone like Thiya Arun is her body double, though. She wants someone better suited.

'She is a jealous chick.' Ramya put it bluntly the other day when Thiya had the pleasure of catching up with things inside the cafeteria over a cup of coffee. 'You must still consider this whole situation as a plus dear. This proves you're as beautiful as an actress.'

Beauty. Thiya knows it comes in varied shapes and forms and skin tones. Beauty is inner radiance, nothing else. One must consciously project it outwards and they'd be the most beautiful person ever.

Beauty is how one carries oneself. But of course, what happened is still a compliment on its own. Just, it is hard to see the USP especially when Seyon is outside the changing room's door, waiting.

Kavya threw her clothes that looked unused, unloved. Some had wrinkles, but they still smelt clean. The actress allotted a bedroom on the first floor where Thiya could change.

"Are you done?" comes Seyon's voice from behind the closed door of the room. "It's been twenty minutes."

This is it. Thiya steps out of the room, dressed in the least gaudy outfit, conscious of his eyes on her the moment she is in his field of vision.

Seyon doesn't accompany her each day. Thanks to her being Kavya's body double, she's performing night duty each night. Soham and Meera join her on other days when Seyon doesn't. And when Seyon is with her, he doesn't take his eyes off her.

The scenario repeats today. Does she look odd? That doesn't seem to be the case. He seems mesmerised and the look in his eyes when he thinks she isn't looking his way is simply...

No, no. Clear the unnecessary cache, Thiya. Free your brain's memory so it can function optimally.

The stalwart cop she is, Thiya madly desires to focus on the case each day, but situations such as these are distracting enough.

Seyon observes his companion as she rubs her exposed arms. He can guess what's running through her head. Thiya has always been an easy read. She's wondering why must Kavya throw the gaudiest outfits there are, why the AC temperature be set to freezing cold. Whatever her complaints are, he thinks she's beautiful and the outfit suits her. The gaudiness can be cut down, though.

They descend the stairs to the ground floor. Again, Seyon looks at the stunning beauty in the room. They are alone in the expensive lobby, and though surrounded by scintillating art and decor, his eyes are pulled towards the lady.