#17.1 Awkward new beginnings

At 6 am, Soham finds Seyon seated on the steps of his house's veranda, his blazer discarded, shirt sleeves rolled up, hair as neat as a bird's nest. The summer breeze is pleasantly cool. Soham feels it brushing his cheeks as he rushes to his friend.

"You're here! Wearing the same outfit as yesterday? Were you out here all night? What if you got sick?"

Seyon looks up in response to those frantic words.

"I sat here for a moment thinking of the past and... the night turned to day..."

"Who does that? Ugh, I didn't hear you sounding this poetic in years, Seyon."

"It's not poetry," Seyon smiles wryly, adding the words under his breath

"It's not poetry," Seyon smiles wryly, adding the words under his breath. "It's love... I think."

The last of his whispered words isn't audible. Soham doesn't catch them.

"Summer nights are pleasant. And the moon was soothing, you know. I couldn't have fallen sick, Soham."

Soham laughs and takes a seat beside Seyon.

"Were you sad?"

"Wistful."

"Aren't they the same?"

"No. There's a sense of relief with wistfulness. Truth is liberating, you know? I felt light. I'm glad we had the conversation, though I feel sad about what transpired in the past."

Soham listens with patience, then sighs.

"I wanted to check on you, but thought you'd need space. I knew you'd be okay somehow."

"You're always so thoughtful... Soham, thanks."

"So..."

"So I sat here thinking if she could sleep... How she felt... And the loop went on."

Seyon laughs at what he said. Soham sighs again.

"Did you eat? You could have called her instead of doing all the thinking."

Seyon shakes his head and lets out a breath. "Not yet. She could use some personal space... What should I do?"

"Just follow your heart. Again."

Seyon chuckles, thinking Soham's words are cliche. Then his expression drops, and he runs a hand through his bangs. Steadily brightening sunlight warms him, just as Soham's quiet company does. A few minutes of silence.

"Can I think this way, Soham, considering the case?"

"It's only temporary, isn't it? You're human. Things happen. It's because there is the case... Get some sleep so we can head to the office together."