#19.1 Our benevolent past

author's Note: hello to anyone reading this story. please vote and don't be a silent reader. I will aim for weekly short updates so I can finish the story as soon as possible.

After Seyon met this strange woman named Thiya in the bookshop and they unfortunately tore the book into two halves, they had to read the book together

After Seyon met this strange woman named Thiya in the bookshop and they unfortunately tore the book into two halves, they had to read the book together. As other copies were not readily available and neither of them had the patience to wait to read their favourite book. Though he was annoyed by her brusque, domineering attitude and called her a villainess, the demanding girl who always asked him to meet up at the coffee shop of her choice to read the book, he was charmed by the bookish enthusiasm they shared.

Spending time with her proved they had more in common than they thought. Slowly, he came to know that she wasn't terrible, only assertive about the things she loved. By the time they finished the book, they were on friendly terms and not going for each other's throats. Or complaining about their current situation of having to read together. What was frustrating turned out to be fun. More so when they discovered they were of the same age and had the common goal of joining the Indian police force.

One fine Sunday, a couple of days after they completed reading the book, Amma wanted to know this new friend he was constantly meeting with. She was surprised, knowing the new friend he made was a girl. Which never happened before. That piqued her interest, and he decided to indulge her. Thiya was considerate enough to visit his house when he told her about this.

"Watch your step." He caught Thiya by the waist as she tripped over his threshold.

Amma rebuked him not to hit on her. Her theatrics were absolutely comical, though delivered in that stern yet dramatic tone. "Kadavule, guys these days can't keep their hands off! My son isn't an exception? Seyon, get away from her!"

"Amma, Thiya is beautiful and sophisticated but it doesn't mean..." He trailed off, feeling the ladies' eyes on him. "I was only helping her!"

When Thiya was leaving later that evening, she asked him if he was hitting on her

When Thiya was leaving later that evening, she asked him if he was hitting on her. He slyly asked if she would want that. She shook her head, smiled disbelievingly, and left.