[TWENTY]

«ѳѳѳѳ»
20

Time moves slowly in this room

Christina's question about my sleeping habits had caught me off guard, and I struggled to answer honestly.

"Not great," I muttered, feeling a twinge of embarrassment. Just a twinge.

Dr. Raynor nodded. "Have you tried any relaxation techniques before bed?"

I shrugged feeling a slight sense of helplessness. "Yes, but they don't seem to help much..."

Dr. Raynor seemed to sense my discomfort, and she shifted the conversation to something else. "What I notice is that you tend to avoid being open and being direct about your emotions. Can you tell me why that is?"

I hesitated a bit not expecting her to ask such a question. "It's how I've learned to survive. In Hydra, vulnerability was a sign of weakness."

Dr. Raynor nodded, seeming to understand. "I understand that, and it's important to acknowledge that it's okay to be vulnerable and open with the people you trust. It takes strength to confront your fears."

I shifted uncomfortably in my chair, feeling exposed. "I know but it's been hard to let my guard down. I don't want people to see me as weak."

Dr. Raynor leaned forward, looking at me kindly. "I've known you for some weeks and most of the stuff I know came from a file. But what I do know is that you, Emilia, are the strongest person in your life and I'm not talking about your powers."

Okay maybe I do that at times. But I was taught that any moment you let your guard down you give your enemies and everyone a clear shot. "Remember when I said last session about how you were scared of being hurt..."

I nodded. "Well that's a part of life, not everyone's perfect. Not even your brother, the billionaire smart-a**. Before when I saw him on TV I thought to myself 'He has to be the most narcissistic being on this planet'" I'm entirely sure where she's going with this but I still listened.

"When I met him in person I realized...I was right," I cracked a smile at her remarks about Tony. She's not wrong.

"Yet seeing how much he's willing to put down for the sake of the people he cares about, it made me realize he isn't all that bad." She said clicking her pen.

"When was the last time you spoke to your brother?" She asked.

"This morning..." I answered.

"Okay, what did you talk about if you don't mind me asking?"

"Stuff..." I simply said shrugging my shoulders.

"You can't be serious," She deadpanned.

"What?"

"You spend a couple of days with teenagers and you've evolved from childish to 'Stuff'?" She said dryly.

"They are a very influential age group, powerful even," I said waving my hand across the air.

"Keep changing the subject and we'll be here all day..." I guess I could raise the white flag.

"He's coming back from his trip to India today,"

"Is that all?" I shrugged my shoulders. I don't know what else she expects from a phone call of all things.

Christina placed her journal aside and sat back crossing her legs, looking at me attentively. "How about you try to reconnect with your support system? One day at a time."

I nodded genuinely taking in her words a lot more than usual. Maybe being open won't be as bad as I perceive it to be. Before it was terrible but now things are different...

"I guess," I said crossing my arms and leaning back as I went deep into my thoughts.

If anything I wouldn't be here if a certain someone didn't care.

I haven't had—or I can't remember someone making such a fuss over me...

Did I just use the word fuss? I have got to stop hanging around the teacher's lounge and get takeout.

"...And that's the time," Christina said closing her journal.

"Well, I will be taking my leave now, a good day to you Doctor..." I stood up making my way out and once I reached the main entrance I received an alert coming from my phone.

I pulled it out and rolled my eyes unsurprised at what I'd read:

'Peter Benjamin Parker has left school grounds...'

Does he ever get tired of being up to something? I walked up to the car with Happy in the driver's seat. "How've you been?" He asked.

"Let's just say it's about to be a long day..."

744 words