[TWENTY-FOUR]

«ѳѳѳѳ»
24

These past few weeks have been a lot more plain than others

These past few weeks have been a lot more plain than others. I didn't think I'd care much about having to ignore Peter but apparently, I ended up kind of missing that idiot.

But unfortunately, these next few days are gonna be my last working at this school.

Never thought I'd grow accustomed to this environment. I guess Tony knew what he was doing after all.

"Hey, you ready to go?!" I heard Happy call out.

"Just a second..." At the moment I am getting ready to chaperone the Homecoming dance tonight. Then after this, I turn in my letter of resignation.

Since the identity Tony gave me was to be the opposite of my usual exterior I have opted to wear a dress for the occasion.

I guess he was doing me a courtesy by making it a black dress. Once I applied the last touches to my attire for the night I stepped out into the living room.

Happy eyes were wide and his jaw dropped.

"Wow, you look...fantastic." He said.

"Not my usual but it'll have to do..." I grabbed my coat and purse before heading into the elevator. Happy followed behind and got in before the doors closed.

"So Homecoming... bring back any memories?" He asked me.

"No. When I was 15 I was given my first target..." I answered.

I could feel his mood change as his face went from a sense of reminiscing to a look of shock.

"Well, that's...that's just wow..." It was silent for the rest of the trip.

•••••

3rd Person POV

Peter was in the car with Liz and her dad heading to the School for the dance. Peter was a bit on edge for the majority of the car ride.

It was quiet until Mr. Toomes spoke up.

"What are you gonna do, Pete?" His question grabbed Peter's attention away from the outside of the window.

"What?" Peter asked.

"When you graduate, what do you think you'll do?" Mr. Toomes said.

"Oh, um, I don't know." Peter stuttered.

"Don't grill him, Dad." "Liz said.

Her father just shrugged his shoulders as he drove. "Just saying, you know. All you guys who go to that school...you pretty much have your life planned out, right?"

"Yeah, no, I'm a sophomore..." Peter said.

"Peter has an internship with Tony Stark. I think he doesn't have to worry." Liz boasted which caught her Dad's interest as he looked at them through the rearview mirror.

"Really? Stark?" Mr. Toomes said earning a nod from Liz.

"What do you do?" He asked.

"Yeah, actually, I don't intern for him...anymore," Peter said earning a look of surprise from Liz.

He quickly came up with an excuse. "It got, um...boring..."

"It was boring? You got to hang out with Spider-Man." Liz said.

"Really? Spider-Man? Wow. What's he like?" Peter was starting to feel a bit more uneasy with the topic, especially with how invested Liz's Dad was getting.

"Yeah, he's nice—Nice man. Solid dude..." Peter said trying to sound as casual as possible.

There was a pause in the conversation as for a brief moment Liz leaned over to Peter to show him something cute on her phone. He thought it would lighten his mood but he was too nervous.

"I've seen you around, right? We've, uh—Have we ever...Because even the voice..." For a second Peter could've sworn he stopped breathing for a moment.

"Um, he does Academic Decathlon with me and he was at my party," Liz said making Peter quietly let out a breath of relief.

"It was a great party, really great, yeah. Beautiful house, a lot of windows..." He hoped the conversation could end right there but the odds were against him.

"You were there for, like, two seconds..." Liz said.

"That was—I was there longer for two seconds," Peter says as Liz unknowingly exposes him.

"You disappeared." Peter denied her accusations.

"Yes, you did. You disappeared like you always do, like you did in D.C. too..." The car had come to a stop at a red light.

"Whew. That's terrible what happened down there in D.C., though..." Mr. Toomes said.

He looked towards Peter. "Were you scared?" He asked.

"I bet you were glad when your old pal Spider-Man showed up in the elevator, though, huh?" His change of tone went unnoticed by Liz as his eyes remained solely on Peter.

"Yeah—uh, well, I-I actually didn't go up...I saw it all from the ground..." Peter said.

Mr. Toomes smiled at Peter. "Good old Spider-Man..." He said.

It wasn't until the sounds of honking were heard that Liz noticed he was holding up traffic. "Uh, Dad, the light..."

Mr. Toomes focused his eyes on the road as he resumed driving in silence. Peter gulped in his seat knowing full and well that he's been figured out...

A/N
Hey
So like Happy New Year...🎉
Hope the holidays and wintertime time been treating you right.
Rewatching the movie and seeing this scene was a lot more creepier than I remembered 😶

855 Words