Part 6

Amanda was working alongside Daryl, digging graves. Amanda had a bandana in her hair, shielding her from the sunlight. They worked in silence for a few minutes before Amanda spoke up, "I'm sorry about your brother. That must be shitty." She said softly, taking a sip of water before handing the bottle over to Daryl.
Daryl nodded a response to her, taking the bottle and took a sip. He placed the bottle down and they continued to work in silence.
T-Dog dragged a body over, "Amanda, what did you do before all this?" he asked as he noticed she was helping drag bodies and dig graves while the other women did laundry and tended to the children.
Amanda looked up, "I was a nurse. Before that, I was a Sergeant in the Army. I was a medic for the 14th Combat Support Hospital here at Fort Benning." Amanda said as she stabbed the earth with her shovel.
T-dog nodded, "ah." he said, turning over and looking back at the camp when he heard Jacqui scream.
Amanda rushed over, watching from a distance, "He's bit! Jim's bit!" Jacqui screamed
Rick and Shane jogged over, examining the bite on Jim's body, "what do we do?" Shane asked softly
"The humane thing." Daryl said, pulling a gun out from his holster
"No!" Rick shouted, "No! There has to be something." he grumbled
"Fort Benning." Shane said, "Amanda, you were stationed there a while back. Right?" He asked
"Yeah, like, three years ago. It's also miles away." Amanda said, looking at Rick, "we need something closer." She said
"The CDC." Rick said, "Disease Control. It's in the name. We can take Jim to get help." Rick said, looking at the group for support.
Amanda inhaled sharply as no one responded to Rick, "I think that's a great idea." Amanda said, "I think we gather all we have now and just head out. We know this spot isn't safe as it was, maybe the CDC can provide security. Or at least guidance on how to locate safe areas." Amanda said, playing with the necklace rick gave her.
Shane shook his head, "Fort Benning has a hospital there. He can get treated there." Shane argued, "Who's gonna protect us? A bunch of nerds at the CDC or the actual Army?" He shouted
Morales shook his head, "Wherever you guys go, we won't be joining you. We have family nearby and would rather be with them during this time." He said, embracing his wife and children.
Amanda frowned slightly, looking at Morales, "Okay, I support your decision. I would choose the same thing. Family over everything else." Amanda said, glancing over at Rick.
Rick looked at Amanda, guilt sinking into his stomach. He walked over to Morales, handing him a rifle and a hug.
"I think we try our luck at the CDC since it's closer. If that fails, we move onto Fort Benning. It doesn't make sense to ignore one in favor of the other." Amanda said, "does this sound sensible to everyone?" she questioned
Dale smiled, "Good thinking, kiddo." He said, grabbing her shoulder and offering a squeeze, "let's get all this junk packed and hit the road." Dale said

Amanda walked over to the tent she shared with Shane and began cleaning out the inside. Amanda looked up as Rick walked inside, "thank you." He said, "I know i don't deserve your support but i appreciate it." He said
Amanda shrugged, "You and me against whatever's out there." She reminded him, looking up at him with glossy eyes, "It's not fair of me to be angry that you're with your family. I don't know why i thought our three little kisses meant something. It's silly." Amanda said as she rolled up shane's sleeping bag.
"I thought they did." Rick said, "But you're right, Lori is my wife." He said softly, "Thank you for helping us reunite." He said before exiting.
Amanda sighed softly as she let some tears stream down her cheek. She wiped her face, carrying the things over to Shane's truck.
"Lotta good memories we had in this ole girl." Shane said to Amanda, smacking the hood of the car. Amanda laughed softly, looking up at him, "Yeah? Like what?" She asked
Shane grinned as he walked over to her, "Me, You, a blanket and a drive in movie theater? You don't recall?" He grinned at her cheekily
Amanda's cheeks flushed, "Unfortunately i do remember." she laughed, "but it was a good time." she said, shrugging. Shane grinned widely, "are you riding with me, the grimes family or the RV?" he questioned her. Amanda sighed, "you, i guess." she said, opening the door for herself before climbing inside.