Part 9

Amanda woke up the next morning as the sun began to rise. She rubbed her eyes, sighing softly as she climbed out of the sleeping bag. Most of the group was still asleep. Amanda grabbed her toothbrush and a water bottle and walked over to the railing and brushed her teeth. She looked at the woods before spitting out her toothpaste on the grass. She rinsed her mouth before walking back over to the group.

Carl was babbling on excitedly about a sheath full of weapons he found, "Carl!" Shane snapped, "Go take them to your mom. NOW!" Shane shouted at him as he cleaned out one of the cars.

Amanda looked at him in disbelief, "Shane, Carl is not your son. Don't ever talk to someone else's kid like that." Amanda said, feeling her heart race, "That's a really good find, Carl. Maybe one day i'll teach you how to use one of these." Amanda said, kneeling down, picking up a machete, "Lemme see your knife." Amanda said, watching as Carl handed her a dull pocket knife, "Let's trade you out, this one won't peel the skin off a soft apple." Amanda said, handing him a knife, "Make sure it's closed at all times, unless you're using it." Amanda said, folding the blade of the pocket knife into its handle, "push the side when you wanna pop the blade out." Amanda explained, "Keep the knife tucked in front of your shirt, so you can grab it faster." She explained, watching as Carl held the handle of the knife, carefully, "Thank you." Carl beamed, "My mom said you're the reason our family is falling apart." Carl said, mindlessly. Amanda laughed softly, "Tell your mom to leave children out of adult business." She smiled softly. She looked over at Lori, giving her a polite smile. Amanda stood back up, squeezing Carls shoulder before walking over to Daryl.

Daryl looked up at her, "We going out again?" he questioned. Amanda nodded, "Yeah, everyone. Except the weak, mothers and children. Carol comes, though. Dale won't leave his RV behind, so he can hang out and provide security of the area." Amanda said

"I'm coming too." Carl said, walking over to Amanda, "Sophia is my friend, I wanna help find her."

Amanda sucked on her teeth, "Ahhhh... That's not up to me, Carl." Amanda said, looking over at Lori and Rick.

Lori rolled her eyes, looking at Rick, "I can't always be the bad guy." she explained. Rick nodded, "alright, you can come." Rick smiled at Carl, "Stick by Amanda or I at all times." He warned him.

Carl laughed excitedly and hugged Amanda, "Thank you!" He beamed

Lori scoffed angrily, "That's not what I meant by me being the bad guy all the time." She said angrily at Rick.

"He's 12. He needs to know how to take care of himself." Rick said. Rick looked at the group, "Gather your items, We head out in 5." He said, walking over to the RV.

Amanda walked over to Shane's truck, grabbing her water and taking a sip. She looked as Rick came over and she smiled, offering him the bottle. Rick took a sip and leaned against the car, "I say we follow the track she was on yesterday." he said, "Daryl takes the lead. He calls the shots on this thing." He recommended.

Amanda nodded, "Sounds like a good plan to me." She said, smiling at him. She looked up as Daryl walked over, "Hey, are you okay with taking the lead?" She questioned, smiling as he nodded.

Amanda looked up and watched as Lori picked up a knife, examining it carefully. Lori glanced over at Amanda, "If my son is coming, so am i." she said. Amanda nodded, "no problem." She said, ignoring Lori's scowl.

The group took off into the woods, following Daryl's lead. Daryl stopped the group, pointing at a tent, "She could be in there." He said, "Carol, call out to her. The first voice she should hear is yours."

"Sophia? Honey? It's mommy." Carol said gently, "Are you in there?"

Amanda inhaled, "Daryl, open the zipper." Amanda said. She stood on the other side, holding her knife up. She dug her feet into the ground a little bit for more stability, in case anything came out.