chapter 6= A Card's Purpose.

Julia's POV

My dad continued to rant, "look, I am NOT Santa Claus!"

We then came into a large workshop with elves working hard, constructing any sorts of toys, and a very colourful decor pallet.

"Ahhh." My dad slid off the coat as the sight of the workshop took him by surprise.

"Did you or did you not read the card?" Bernard asked, not turning his back to look at us.

"Yeah I read the card!" My dad yelled. 

"Then you're the new Santa! In putting on the hat and jacket, you accepted the contract!" Bernard explained.

"What contract?" Dad asked, holding a toy tool belt across his waist.

"The card in the Santa suit. You said you read it, right? So when you put on the suit, you fell subject to the Santa Clause," Bernard offered a sugar cookie to my dad. "Here!" Dad took it and took a large bite.

"The Santa Clause? Oh, you mean the guy that fell off my roof?" Dad followed Bernard as he sauntered off again.

"No, no, no! Not Santa Claus, the person, Santa Clause, the Clause!" Bernard sighed in annoyance.

"What?" Dad asked.

I rolled my eyes. I could understand Bernard perfectly.

"Look, you're a business man, right?" Bernard gestured to my dad.

"Yeah!" Dad nodded.

"Dad, what Bernard is trying to say is that he means a clause, as in the last line of a contract! Come on, dad! Even I know that!" I sighed.

"She's right, ya know!" Bernard frowned at dad.

Dad still looked at the elf as if he had three heads.

"You got the card!" Bernard snapped, causing my dad to jump in surprise.

"I got it!" I exclaimed, pulling the card out of dad's back pocket, and handed it to Bernard.

Bernard held it under a large magnifying glass, and I peered over dad's shoulder as Bernard read it aloud, "The Santa Clause: 'In putting on the suit, and entering the sleigh, the wearer waves any and all rights to any previous identity, real or implied, and fully accepts the duties and responsibilities of Santa Claus in perpetuity until such time when wearer becomes unable to do so by either accident or design!"

Dad snatched the card from the elf, and held it up to the sky. He then turned back to Bernard and his voice went high-pitched as he said, "What does that mean?!"

"It means you put on the suit, you're the big guy!" Bernard turned away from us.

"That's ridiculous! I didn't put on a suit just to-!"

"TRY TO UNDERSTAND THIS!!!" Bernard turned around and full-on yelled at my dad.

"Ooooo!" The elves said in unison as if to say, "someone's getting angry!"

I drew back slightly at Bernard's sudden outburst as I hated it when people yelled. Bernard noticed my slightly scared expression and his gaze softened slightly.

He stood in between my dad and I and started to guide my dad around the second floor of the workshop.

"Let me explain something to you, okay," Bernard chuckled lightly. "Toys have to be delivered! I'm not gonna do it! It's not my job! I'm just an elf! It's Santa's job! But Santa fell off a roof! YOUR roof! You read the card, you put on the suit, that clearly falls under the Santa Clause, so now you're Santa, okay?!" He added breathlessly.

"A question?" Dad raised a finger.

"What?" The elf asked.

"When can we get outta here?" Dad put an arm around me.

"Dad, Jules! You gotta see this place!" Charlie suddenly approached us.

"I know. It's amazing, isn't it?" I whispered to my little brother.

"You leave tomorrow morning! You have eleven months to get your affairs in order, and you're due back here Thanksgiving!" Bernard answered.

"We're not coming back here Thanksgiving!" Dad stated.

"I'll ship the list to your house!" Bernard said through gritted teeth.

"What list?" Dad asked.

"Come on, now! The list!" Bernard chuckled lightly as if it were obvious.

Dad squinted his eyes in confusion.

Bernard looked around to make sure none of the elves were listening in and he began to sing softly, "He's making a list."

"Checking it twice!" Charlie continued.

"Gonna find out who's naughty or nice!" The elves sang in unison.

I smiled slightly.

Bernard sighed and brought his hands to his head, "ugh, look! You put a 'P' next to the kids who are nice, and a 'C' next to the naughty ones!"

"'P' and 'C'?" Dad asked.

"Yeah, 'P' for 'present'!" Charlie looked up at dad.

"And 'C' must be for coal! Right, Bernard?" I finished.

"Right!" Bernard smiled at us, and turned away, walking off again.

"Wait, how do I know who's good or bad?" Dad asked.

"Dad, I'm sure you'll know!" I muttered to him.

"Look! What if I don't wanna do this?!" Dad asked.

Bernard stopped dead in his tracks, smoothly spun around, and walked up to dad and got really close to his face.

"Don't even kid about a thing like that!" He spat slightly.

"Why not? What if I don't buy into this Santa Clause thing? What if.. I choose... Not to believe it?" Dad smiled proudly, waving the card through the air.

I looked at dad with anger and disbelief in my eyes. I looked towards Charlie who I could see had faint tears brewing in his eyes.

Silence fell in the workshop, and all the elves turned to look at my dad. Some looked angry, some were on the verge of tears, and some were even cracking their knuckles as if they were gonna beat up my dad.

"Then there would be millions of disappointed children around the world," Bernard's face turned as blank as a canvas. "You see... Children hold the spirit of Christmas within their hearts! You wouldn't wanna be responsible for killing the spirit of Christmas now would you... Santa?"

Bernard then turned away. There was something about his words that stuck with me. Forever. Engraved in my brain. Turning my thoughts into mush in an instant.

"Judy will take you to your room. Get out of the suit, it needs to be cleaned!" Bernard started to go down the staircase.

"And taken in!" I added with a chuckle.

"Then get some sleep! We got a lot of work to do, and only a year in which to do it!" Bernard suddenly turned and ran up the stairs again.

"I almost forgot, I'll take Jules to the elfirmary to sort out that gash you made on the side of her head." He outstretched his hand towards me.

I was about to take it, but my dad slapped my hand away from his, "Ow, dad!" I groaned.

"I can tell you now, you're not going anywhere with my daughter!" Dad pointed an angry finger at Bernard.

"Dad, chill! I'll be fine!" I took Bernard's hand without hesitation. It was warm, and soft. I liked that feeling.

"She's in good hands with Bernard, dad." I heard Charlie mutter to dad as I followed Bernard down the staircase.

I waved at my dad before we turned a corner and both my brother and my dad were out of sight.

..... I suddenly felt a weird sensation in the pit of my stomach... I'm not sure if it was.... Love? No! It can't be!... Bernard couldn't possibly make me feel that!...

Can he?