chapter 26= Take a look at your watch!

Julia's POV

"I myself think he looks absolutely terrific," Bernard exclaimed. Bernard and I had gathered all the elves up in the workshop. "Better... And fresher somehow than he has in years!"

I smiled and nodded along with my boyfriend's lies.

"There's now a more supple veneer to his skin and... And an added luster to the thickness of his hair! You could almost say there's a... A-!" Bernard struggled.

"A toy-like quality to him!" I butted in.

Bernard's eyes widened at my suggestion.

"Exactly," Bernard continued. "And most importantly he's very happy with his new look! And I would caution you all not to point, or stare, or use the word "plastic". Okay? Okay. Thank you! That's it! That's all! Back to work please!" Bernard plastered a smile to his face and dismissed the elves.

As the elves dispersed into the workshop, Bernard puffed air into his cheeks, relieved the lying stage was over and done with.

He turned to me and gave a nervous chuckle.

"Toy-like?" He questioned.

"Sorry! It slipped out!" I replied, sighing.

Bernard sighed back.

"Also, it's a bit on the nose to mention don't use the word "plastic", don't ya think?" I cringed.

"I panicked, okay?" He exclaimed in a whisper.

"Okay! Jeez!" I replied.

Bernard suddenly turned and headed towards the mechanic lab.

What was he doing?

-time skip-
20 minutes later...

I strode into the reindeer stables to see my dad, retrieving Comet's saddle from his stall.

As I approached Comet, he gabbled at dad, telling him why did he have to go, and couldn't dad take Prancer?

"Comet, because I don't wanna take Prancer," dad complained. He then noticed me stood next to Comet. "Hey, Honey."

"Hey, dad."

He then turned back to the reindeer, "I want to take a trip with you! When was the last time we had a cruise, you and I, together?"

Comet groaned.

"I love ya, buddy." Dad placed the saddle on Comet's back.

"Besides, last night at dinner, Prancer had way too many apples, and I think we all know what that means." I bent down to the reindeer and gave a knowing eye.

Suddenly, Bernard appeared in my view.

"Before you go, take a look at your watch!" Bernard handed my dad a newly-made watch and smiled.

"Hey! Can't go anywhere without that!" Dad sighed.

"I've done some work on it!" Bernard said proudly.

"It's beautiful, Bernard, it really is!" Dad smiled at my boyfriend.

"You like it?" Bernard asked.

"I love it! The workmanship's fabulous! I love this little furnish stuff it has here!" Dad studied Bernard's work.

"I've added a power reserve that measures how much magic you have left! It's at ten now!" Bernard explained.

"Right, well, that should be enough!" Dad smiled at Bernard.

"But, if at any time, you use up any magic for any reason, the level drops," Bernard's smile dropped. "Santa, if it gets to zero... You won't be able to return to the Pole."

"Uh-oh." Comet gabbled.

Dad gestured for Bernard and I to lean in towards him.

We leaned in.

"Then let's not let it get to zero!" He exclaimed in a whisper.

Bernard shook his head nervously, smiled, and placed a hand on dad's shoulder.

"Now, look at me," Bernard sighed. "What's the most important thing."

"For you... Not to touch Santa?" Dad asked.

Bernard took his hand off dad's shoulder, and smiled.

"For you to come back!" Bernard chuckled.

I chuckled.

A little elf girl came to give dad his winter gloves.

As dad went to get onto Comet's back, Comet gabbled in complaint.

"Comet, please just chill out a little bit, okay? Come on!" Dad got onto Comet's back.

"You know, it's not like we're pullin' the sleigh or anything, right?" I consoled the panicked animal.

"There's no packages. It's one stop! And I think I might've forgot we're gonna go and see Charlie!" Comet started to run down the runway as he heard Charlie's name.

Bernard and I watched dad and Comet as they took off into the mid-day sky.

We looked at each other with the same nervousness on our faces.

This has to work...

.... Doesn't it?