chapter 27= Nerves.

Julia's POV

It had been an hour since my dad had set off for the real world, and nervousness built up inside me almost straight away.

I was pacing my office, biting my nails, trying to make these nerves go away. But,... They wouldn't... No matter how hard I tried.

I needed a distraction.

That's when I decided to go and check on the elves in the workshop.

As I exited my office, the smell of freshly baked gingerbread filled my nostrils, relieving some, but not all of the stress.

As I wandered the decorated workshop halls, the sound of tiny hammers and low bustle started to be heard through my pointy ears.

I soon came to the balcony overlooking the workshop.

I inhaled the sense of home, and exhaled the sense of stress and uncertainty that this toy Santa thingy was going to work.

I made my way down the staircase on the left hand side of the balcony.

I started to weave in and out of the different work stations, analyzing the elves' work now and then.

I then came to the teddy bear station.

I peered at the elves tying ribbons around each of the bears necks, and giving them their own personality to take to their new homes.

"You're doing great, Delilah." I whispered to one of the elves.

She smiled up at me. "Thanks, Jules."

I chuckled and slowly walked away from her station.

I decided to head to the kitchen and followed that pleasant aroma of gingerbread.

As I pushed the heavy double doors to the kitchen open, the gingerbread scent was increased to its full power.

I started to walk in and the heat of the large oven came over me like a tsunami.

As I weaved in and out of the different cooking stations, elves greeted me, and I simply smiled back at them and nodded my head.

Today on the kitchen and cooking agenda were sugar-coated gingerbread houses with wafer paper lacing around the roof, icing lining the floorings, decorated with M&Ms, gumdrops, humbugs, and aniseed balls.

Delicious!

I then felt a hand on my shoulder. It gave a comforting rub.

I turned around to see Bernard, smiling at me.

"Hi." I smiled at him.

"Hey, snow angel. How are you feeling?" He asked.

I looked around to see if we were being observed by any of the elves, leaned in towards Bernard, and whispered, "I'm nervous, B. What if this doesn't work?"

He did the same look around, and whispered back, "I'm sure it'll work."

"I'm sorry if I'm so stressed! It's just I don't wanna lose you. Not now." I held back tears.

"I will never let that happen. Never." He wiped away a tear that had broken free from my eye.

I smiled at him. He leaned in and pecked me on the lips.

"Bernard! Jules!" We heard Curtis call us as he entered the kitchen, power walking with a purpose.

"What is it, Curtis?" Bernard asked as Curtis stopped in front of us.

"There's something you need to come and check on." Curtis spoke in a hushed voice, his eyes widening in a knowing gesture.

We exchanged knowing glances and made our way to my dad's office.

Or, in this case...

The toy's office.