chapter 20= A wonderful gift.

Julia's POV

"Mom? Mom! Niel? I'm home!" Charlie announced as we entered the house.

Mom and Niel came rushing into the living room area.

"Charlie?" Niel ran up to Charlie and hugged him so tight.

"Charlie? Oh my god, Charlie. Oh sweetheart." Mom peppered Charlie's face with kisses.

"I'm so glad you're home. How are you?" Mom asked.

"I'm fine, mom." Charlie whined.

Niel suddenly started to slowly approach me.

"Jules?" He poked my arm to check if I was real.

"Hey, Niel." I pursed my lips.

He suddenly pulled me into a very tight hug. My breath was snatched away from me.

"Niel, are you okay?" I said, my voice was raspy from how tight he was hugging me.

"I'm just glad you're okay!" He muttered.

I eventually gave in, and hugged back.

He then pulled away.

Dad looked out the window at the police cars that were surrounding the house.

"I don't have a lot of time." He sighed.

"Did you leave the gifts I made under the tree?" Charlie asked, approaching dad and I.

"You bet I did." Dad stated as if it were obvious.

"We better go!" Charlie started to head for the chimney.

"No, Charlie." Dad stopped him.

"No, no, no, no, Charlie, honey." Mom immediately got worried.

"It's okay, mom." I consoled her.

My dad and I both got down on one knee in front of Charlie.

"Actually, I... I think that it's a much better idea... That you stay here with your mom and Niel." Dad sighed.

"Really?" Laura smiled.

"But, dad..." Charlie started to tear up.

"No 'buts' Charlie. We can't be selfish." Dad looked Charlie straight in his eyes.

"We can't be with ya all the time, bud." I started to tear up.

"We're a family. You, me, your sister, your mom... And Niel. And they need to be with ya, too." Dad sighed.

"I'll miss you guys too much." Charlie pulled us both into a hug.

"Listen to me. Come on now, listen. There's a lot of kids out there, bud, okay?" I sighed.

"Millions of kids. They all believe in me. They're counting on me, Charlie. I'm not gonna let 'em down. I got a lot of work to do." My dad softly said.

"So I can't be selfish either." Charlie said, his voice breaking from crying.

Tears started flowing out of my eyes and I sniffled pretty loudly.

"Listen, bud. You gave dad and I a wonderful gift. Listen to me, a wonderful gift." I smiled.

"You believed in me when nobody else did. You helped make me Santa." Dad mimicked my smile.

"Selfish? Come on. You're least selfish person dad and I know." I rubbed his shoulder.

Charlie then pulled dad and I into a tight hug.

"I love you, Santa Claus. I love you, Jules the elf." He muttered in the hug.

"I love you, son." Dad replied.