chase

The cyclical days were brought to an abrupt halt by a phone call from Alice. I was needed in Forks urgently. Alice being Alice hadn't really elaborated much past that, but the phone call had resulted in me packing a bag and running to Forks on a Friday night.

When I arrived Esme was waiting by the front door. She offered me a soft smile before embracing me in a hug. I didn't realize how much a truly missed her warm presence, I felt at ease. I missed all the Cullens more than anticipated. 

"It's so nice to see you, Arden," Esme spoke, releasing me from the hug.

"Yeah, you too," I said returning her smile.

"Come on, let's go inside."

I followed her up the short staircase and inside. The family was lounging about the living room and greeted me as I ventured further into the house, each of them getting up and giving me hug of their own before sitting again.

The news was playing quietly on the TV-- there was a string of murders occurring in Seattle, something I was well aware of. School had sent out an email to the student body warning us to be safe when going out at night, to take extra precautions, and to try to stay in when possible. I watched for a short while before turning to Alice.

"Well, what was the emergency that couldn't wait?"

I felt six pairs of golden eyes on me. It was just as I had predicted, there was an obvious heaviness to the air. All of them were scared to speak first, I could tell they were trying to choose their next words carefully, as  though they were scared I was a bomb about to detonate at any second. With this treatment I would.

Alice sighed before cutting the tension with her voice, "Victoria is back. I had a vision and she'll be here by tomorrow night."

"Oh...so what're we gonna do?" I asked before dramatically rolled my eyes to the back of my head, sticking out my tongue and pretending to slit my neck.

Emmett's booming laughter made me grin, returning my face to normal. Jasper had a smirk on his face, "yeah that's the general idea."

"She's after Bella, thankfully I've convinced her to go to Florida for the weekend to visit Renée," Alice spoke again.

"Perfect, so no risk of collateral."

"Exactly! We have the upper hand. Victoria doesn't know that we know she's coming, so we'll catch her off guard. When she realizes that Bella isn't even here she'll take off."

"Easy peasy," Emmett grinned, crossing his arms over his chest, Rosalie rolling her eyes at her mate.

I nodded in confirmation, returning my focus to the TV.

Carlisle spoke up this time, "Arden, you haven't seen anything strange in Seattle, have you?"

"I mean everyone is on high alert with everything happening, and we've gotten a lot of warnings to be careful while going out, but I haven't actually seen anything myself. Why?"

"These aren't normal murders. They're newborns," Jasper said.

"What? How do you know?"

"I've dealt with it before. They're being sloppy, reckless. They don't know the rules, so they're not cleaning up after themselves. It's quite obvious to someone who knows the signs to look out for."

"We're monitoring the situation closely, but Alice hasn't been able to see who is behind it all." Carlisle added.

Jasper nodded before continuing, "Newborn armies used to be created in the South to win territory battles, but I don't understand what this one is being created for. We're the only clan even close to Seattle."