Chapter 9

Over the next few days, Hee-Jin withdrew a bit and spent more time in her apartment. She had left the medical school laboratory in the late afternoon and was walking down a small street to find a small shop that sold traditional Asian medicine. Suddenly she stopped and stared at a black motorcycle parked in front of a small shop. She heard loud voices. Then a man rushed out of the store and almost knocked her over. He held her at the last moment otherwise she would have fallen. She had his face right in front of her: "Suga?" Hee-Jin looked at him in surprise. He seemed just as surprised at first and looked at her with wide eyes. He noticeably sucked in his breath. "Hee-Jin! Damn, what are you doing you here?" "I could ask you exactly the same thing." He let go of her abruptly. "I had something to clarify here," he answered a little harshly. "So, what are you doing here?" he repeated, looking at her carefully. "I had something to do around here," she replied. He seemed to think for a moment and then asked her somewhat suddenly: "Have you eaten anything yet?" A little irritated by the question, she hesitated for a moment before answering: "Uh, no." she then answered. His expression brightened slightly. "Then come with me, we're going to a small restaurant," he said and held out a second helmet to her. He got on and waited until she sat down behind him. She put her arms around his upper body a little hesitantly. But finally she leaned at his back and breathed in his scent. A short time later they stopped in front of a small, inconspicuous restaurant on a side street. The restaurant owner greeted Suga in a friendly manner; they seemed to know each other well. "It's nice that you're here again." "Are you okay so far, my friend?" Suga asked the innkeeper. "Everything is going so far." he replied and then asked: "Have you brought a new visitor with you?" "Yes, that's Hee-Jin, a new Family member." The innkeeper nodded and smiled. Suga and Hee-Jin sat down at a table, they were the only guests. The innkeeper had disappeared into the kitchen again. They were now sitting opposite each other and Suga was kneading his hand a little nervously. The situation was completely unfamiliar and new for him. Hee-Jin smiled at him and said kindly: "You didn't have to invite me, but thank you for that." He looked at her again with that intense look. "I don't think I ever really thanked you for saving my life," he said finally. "Well, you saved mine more than anything else," she replied. "I would do it again at any time," he murmured to himself. But before she could ask, the innkeeper came with the food. Suga pounced on the food and they were silent for a while. After he finished his meal, he put his chopstick aside and looked thoughtfully at the table in front of him before addressing her again: "You still haven't told me what you were doing in this area. The area is not a good place for you. I'm not always there to kick you out." She replied indignantly: "You don't have to. I can take good care of myself and I had everything under control until we met." "Oh yeah?" he raised his eyebrow and the corner of his mouth in amusement, "What would you have done if a strange gang member had come out there and knocked you over. Do you think he would have just said sorry and then moved on? How good you are in defending yourself, we saw back then. You have to learn to defend yourself, otherwise you won't survive long in my world." "Oh yes, and without me you would have either bled to death on the street or ended up in jail," she replied. "Without you, I wouldn't have gotten involved in the fight." "I didn't ask you to save me." "IT'S ENOUGH NOW!" a loud voice interrupted their argument. A short, plump, middle-aged woman suddenly stood next to their table and two pairs of eyes looked at her in shock. Then she put two glasses of soju on the table and demanded: "This is no good, so go on, get along again. I won't let you leave here before then." The woman made a determined face. Apparently taken aback, Suga took a glass and held it out to Hee-Jin. Then he took his and said quietly. "She's right. I'm sorry. " He looked at the table in front of him with a struck look and downed his soju in one go. She drank her glass in two gulps, looked at Suga and said, "I'm sorry too. You mean well." "Well, it's okay," said the woman and went back into the kitchen. "I...I...don't know what's wrong with me." He stood up and said to her: "Come on, I'll take you home. And give me your car keys, I'll take care of your car afterwards that it will be brought back." He hesitated for a moment and then added quietly: "Whatever If you wanted to get something around there, tell the boys. They should get you what you wanted to buy. I just don't want anything to happen to you." She nodded and he held out his hand to her. She let him pull her up and he only let go of her hand when they were back at the motorcycle. When they arrived at the villa together , they met Tae and JK. "Hi you two," Tae greeted them. JK grinned and asked with slight amusement: "Did you have a date?" Hee-Jin shook her head: "No, we just met by chance." "So, so, totally random." "Just shut up, JK," Suga growled and quickly went back to his motorcycle without saying goodbye to Hee-Jin.