Model Mom

On the way home, I put Storm in the baby seat on the back of the car, ensuring he was locked in and perfect before driving off. My mind was racing with a thousand thoughts of events that have transpired today, and one in particular stood out. I can't believe I almost forgot to check on my sister. I told her in the morning that I may not be able to visit her today and she told me it was okay but that doesn't mean I shouldn't check up on her.

She is doing better than she was six weeks ago, it broke my heart at how pale and tired she looked before but according to the doctors, that's the side effects of the induction treatment. Among other things, she lost a lot of weight, she was vomiting constantly and not being able to enjoy eating because she did not have an appetite was worse. Although the doctor did say she will be discharged soon because she's doing great and her body is responding to the treatment well. Though it doesn't mean she's not still at risk.

At any given moment the body might change and she might need to start everything over or worse...

I don't even want to think about that so instead I make a quick phone call as soon as I am about to get in our driveway. Her phone rings for a few seconds before she picks it up.

"Hey." She says, she sounds like she was sleeping, she also sleeps a lot and I think that's good. When you're asleep your mind is shut and doesn't let you feel the pain. At least she has a bit of peace sometimes.

"Hey, I was just checking in you. Were you sleeping?"

"What else does a girl gotta do in the hospital all day? Watch the news?" She gives me a sleepy laugh making me chuckle.

I love that she and I have almost similar personalities too, making jokes when we're in bad situations as a coping mechanism. She needs this after all, little laughs and some good times.

"I'm glad you're doing better. Soon, you'll be out of there in no time and I can see you more." I reply as I enter the estate. It's still shocking how big this place is and it seems Kevin is unbothered by it.

Considering he grew up in a fortress of a home too, I guess this is up to his expectations of what a family home is. Honestly, a little 5 bedroom home would've been okay since it's just the three of us here. But this is a bonus, I'm not complaining at all.

Lola on the other hand is going to live at Kevin's apartment until she gets a job. That way she can order food and doesn't need Nurses if she doesn't want them. Sure Kevin is still not the biggest fan of hers but after my sister's confession about her behavior, he said that he gets the bitterness of always being compared that he did everything in his power to surpass his siblings but it just was never enough for him everyone's expectations and he resorted to acting out negatively. I met him in that phase where he was still acting out but our situation forced him to stop because he now has people to lose and get hurt if he continued his behavior.

Now he wants to give her that chance, cancer is a big scare especially for someone as young as Lola. He said she was already on that path to being the actual person she is instead of the monster her parents made her out to be, he wants her to be a better person by showing her not everyone is against her. She still has me. Or in a way, she has both of us.

"Speaking of which, the doctor was just telling me this week or this coming week I might be cleared to leave the hospital." I can hear the excitement of his voice, now I'm the one that's smiling. Damn today has been a roller coaster because one minute I'm overjoyed the next I'm having a breakdown and now I'm excited to see my sister out of that Boris place. I really need a long nap.

"That's perfect! I have so many places I wanna show you but I guess you'd love to relax first huh?" I stop myself before I go to far, I've been told I am too much when I'm excited and so I'm trying to be patient. She needs that right now, not to over excite her.