Chapter 41

Luka's POV:

   I was not happy to hear from Chole. I tried to tell her it was off.

    She would not listen. I started to feel guilty for that package I mailed to my soon-to-be ex-wife.

    "What was I thinking?"

        I should have known better than to send her a blanket.

          I was shocked when I received an anonymous message in my email saying my wife was having a baby.  

          Well, I had gone ahead and made the mistake of sending a baby blanket. One harmless mistake.

           I also sent her the divorce papers.  I groaned in horror at how terrible I must sound.

           Here I was a man, who ditched his wife only to find out she was having a baby.

            It was "my baby" as much as it was hers.

          Yet, I did not dare to stack a claim on the child. 

           I did not want to the burden of raising a kid. Besides, who was to say, she did not just make that up to try to win me back?

             I scoffed. "Well, no matter, I will not try to take the baby from her because she can keep the lad or lass if she desires. I have no need for such things."

           I made a million excuses as to why I did not need such a burden in my life.

          I had sent her a nice check to pay for things.

         I supposed in a few months I better send another one. It was the least I could do to pay child support. It was not all her fault that I was a bad husband and father.

        No, she was always the better person. I owed her that much at least, did not I?

          I looked at the time and gasped. Good grief, the baby must have been born by now.

         I did not know the baby's gender let alone the name.

          "Ha", I scoffed. "I do not think it matters. Not when I am on my own."

        "Babies, who needs them?"

           I heard the scream in the elevator and gasped.

          Great, someone she had found me.  Ugh, I did not need Chole to come barging in right now.

            I thought I told her to get lost.

            I sent a quick message to the chat.

          "Bee, I know we had swell times, but it is over."

             "It is not you, it is me. I do not need you in my life. I could not even handle being a man for my wife. I do not need the baggage that comes with you. So buzz off!"

               I signed out and sighed.

             It was a matter of time before she got the hint.

       I grabbed my bags, checked to make sure the phone with the tracking device was left behind this time and hurried. If  I got to the airport on time I might just avoid bumping heads with the "Bee" again.  Yes, I knew it was cruel, but it had to be done.

       I ran as fast as I could. I made it. Phew, and with time to spare.

       I sat in the airport with my luggage and the new phone the one I had not told a soul about not even Chole, well, especially not her.

       I  figured maybe I could send a check early. Just to be sure she gets it.

      I wrote the check for $500.00 this time, stuck it into an envelope, and mailed it to the address. The same one as before. Then, returned with my stuff to the area near gate 15 B. I hope it was worth running once more cause I do not know how much more of the "Bee" I could stand.

        the story continues in Chapter 41

      Until then,

 bye-bye, little owlets!

Summer out!