12. DECISION

Mon's POV

My heart dropped. Did she just casually blurt out those words while driving in the middle of the road?

"Ha... ha... you're kidding, right?" I let out an awkward laugh indicating how unfunny the joke was.

I could hear her deep sigh before she continued with her words. "No, I'm serious, Mon. Be my fiancé." She firmly stated the word again with her eyes shifting between me and the road.

That's what happens when you try to propose while driving...

"Sam, seriously... this is not funny, okay? And even if it is true, what's wrong with you, talking about this matter in the middle of the road while driving?!" I questioned her action.

When she suddenly halted the car on the side of the road, my irritation grew even more.

"What's wrong with you?!" I scolded.

She stayed silent for a while and took a breath before she continued. "Okay, let's just do this again. Mon, do you want to be my fiancé?"

"Sam! Oh my god, seriously, you're not in your right mind."

"In what part of asking you to be my fiancé is not sane? Huh?"

"Everything! Everything is wrong and doesn't make sense. We just met for work, we are not even dating, and it's been a week since we last contacted each other. And today, you wake up and choose to act this nonsense. OF COURSE! Everything is wrong here." I panted hard after I let it all out in one breath.

"At least, we are at a table eating if you're serious about this matter, Sam. That is the least I expect from you. Now you tell me in what part of your action is not crazy?" I asked her after I had calmed down for a bit.

She laughed, and she laughed like she had just heard something ridiculous come out of my mouth, leaving me even more speechless.

"Before this, I thought you were just young by your look and your age. But today, you just proved me wrong. You're indeed still so young at heart and mind." She said while still laughing.

It kind of hurt, though, listening to her insult.

"Mon..." She brought her face near mine before she continued with her words, almost whispering. "We are not living in a fairytale, darling." She smirked. My heart almost skipped a beat hearing the endearment.

"We are in real life in real-time. There's no such prince and princess in the candlelight dinner, proposing with one knee on the ground and music playing in the background." She makes a disgusted face.

"Uh-huh, that's never going to happen in real life. So, wake up, Mon. Come on, you're better than this. I never thought you were going to be that silly imagining things like that." She scoffed before returning to sit properly in her seat.

'Frustrated? Angry? Humiliated? I don't know how to feel exactly. What's wrong with expecting such things? What's wrong with dreaming like a fairytale? And who is she to belittle me for hoping that?'

I took a deep breath and tried to contain myself to avoid saying something unreasonable and repeating my previous mistake. So, it took me a while to finally ask her the reason behind her words.

"But why?" I tried my luck and asked her.

"What do you mean why?"

"Why did you suddenly ask for an engagement?"

"Our families introduced us. Both families have already met, and that only leaves us to make a decision." She said casually. "And I can assure you, they will be over the moon when they hear the news."

"So, you're only suggesting we get engaged just for the sake of both families?" I said in disbelief at how ignorant she could be. "Not even once did you think about my feelings, and even if you are so reluctant to do so, just think about your feelings. Just ask yourself, can you do this just for the sake of our families?"

"So what? Do you think I will suggest this out of love? Don't be ridiculous to think that there's real love in this world. It will always come with prices. For me, this is merely business. Can you imagine the two leading names in business joining forces and by marriage? How intimidating it could be. Later, if we want to have a child, it is also for the sake of producing an heir for the business. So, it's business from the beginning, Mon."

I turned my head, looking out of the window with my eyes already brimming with tears. I was speechless listening to her cold logic and mindset. How more heartless could Sam be? I took a deep breath before turning back to her.

"Okay, let's say we get engaged. Of course, they are expecting us to get married. My question is, how can you be sure to marry me, someone who you barely know? To live with you, be related to you for your whole life. Have you ever thought about that? And let's say we have kids. Do you want to let them grow up in a family that lacks love and raise them to be just like you?"

"Like what?" She asked irritatedly.

"Like someone who is ignorant and lacks empathy. Just like you."

"Huh." She scoffed. "What can love bring you? Can love feed you? Can love to shower you with money? Let's be realistic, Mon. We are in the real world where all that is useless. We live in a world where only power and money matter."

"If you're asking me how I am so sure of marrying you in the future, the answer is simple. I know your family, and I know who Mrs. Pohn and Mr. Robert are. It is not you that I put my trust with but with them. Besides, it's not love that carries a successful marriage. It's the compromise between two individuals. We just need to compromise with each other, Mon. That's marriage."

"Let me ask you again. I just need a simple answer, which is yes or no. Do you want to be my fiance?" She ignorantly asked again like all my questions were just useless to her.

I look at her in disbelief at how cocky and confident she is in uttering her words. Her words ignited something in me. I felt challenged when she said how useless love is in this world. And what? Compromise? I think I'm the one who needs to tolerate her self-centred attitude in the future, yet she wants me to marry her without love.

'Fine, Sam. Do you wanna play this game? Let's start the game. I will make you head over heels with me. I will let you eat your word and prove how ignorant you are.'

"We just need to compromise, right? It's a YES then."

She grinned, listening to my answer. "See, it's not that hard. You can just say yes from the beginning. You're just wasting our time on the side road." She stated and started to drive on the main road again.

"You expect me to decide my life in a few seconds? I'm not that thoughtless like you, Sam."

"Well, you're not refusing and straightly saying no to my proposal. You're asking for the reason, which means you're considering. That's why I'm asking you again because I know it's hard to refuse Samanun Anuntrakul." She smirked.

"Oh my god! I want to take back my answer. You're so full of yourself." I rolled my eyes.

Sam breathed a sigh of relief after listening to Mon's decision to get engaged.

The real reason for her being so eager to ask Mon to be her fiance is yet to be discovered. Sam decided to just keep it by herself for the time being. What matters now is that Mon agrees to be her fiance. And she must keep their relationship to business only. She mustn't fall in love and end up abandoned once more.

'I can't afford to be left behind again..'

To be continued...

*

*

*

P/s: Sorry for the late update! Thank you for reading ❤️ Don't forget to vote and leave some comments, too ❤️❤️❤️