Thirty-Seven

(i do not like the new mobile update. Also, this book is coming to an end soon. I'll continue INSANITY once ASYLUM is complete. Thank you)

S I M O N E
The nightmares came back. Most likely the following night after Kai's death. They hit me like a truck, slamming me with blood and gore. As if I could handle it? As if seeing him die wasn't enough the first time? Now I'm forced to watch Kai die not once, but two, three, fifteen times. This isn't a good experience. It's hard to fall asleep when I know exactly what is on the other side waiting.

It's been two days since the interrogation. It feels like it's been a year. The anticipation for Agent Cage's answers has become all too much. Cage and Nick have kept in touch; which is anything but good. Nick tried convincing them, for my dad's sake. But they don't care. They want me locked behind bars, or stuffed in a room where the walls are made from pillows.

I agree that I'm somewhat a nuisance to the people around me, but I'm not killing anyone. The only thing that I am capable of doing right now is imagining how I would kill Nick. Childhood friend or not, the rage I've kept locked up inside me has boiled over.

Today I wake from another nightmare. It's early, so the sun hasn't had much time to move higher up into the sky. My sheets cling to my body, letting me know that I've clearly been sweating. There's no doubt that I yelled in my sleep either. There's no telling what I'll do during a vivid dream or nightmare. I'm impulsive and unpredictable that way.

My feet find the wood floor and it takes everything in me to fully wake up. My will power is low, it always has been. After Kai, well, after Nick killed him I can't focus. My desire to do things was left in that rusty old pick-up truck.

My sleepy feet manage to drag me down the stairs. I'm not much of a morning person, so when Dad sees me his eyes widen and he clearly looks surprised. I must've interrupted his morning coffee and glance at today's newspaper. "Good morning, Simone. Coffee?"

"I'm good." I take a seat across from him at the dinner table. "Where is Nick?"

"He wanted the day off. Claimed he needed...space? I could imagine we get suffocating at times." He scans the paper, turning the page noisily.

I hum, nodding in agreement. I'm quite happy I get a break from him. He's just a constant reminder.

"When he called me this morning, he told me something." Dad sighs, not in the best of moods. I couldn't even expect him to be happy anymore, after all I've done and what he's been through.

"What did he tell you?" I fold my hands together, ignoring the empty pain in my stomach. I'm not hungry.

It seems I'm having trouble convincing my stomach that. The excuses might work in my mind, but not for my body.

"He told me that Agent Cage requested to take your case to court. It seems that you helped Malachai with his crimes. They want to arrest you for Accessory, and ignoring and failing to report a crime." Dad sets his papers down and avoids looking at me, his terrible daughter.

"I'm going to court?" I choke, the nervous butterflies swarming about in my stomach.

"These are very serious charges, Simone. We could be looking at five to ten years here. Your court date is on friday." Dad pushes.

I take a minute to absorb the information. It couldn't be that bad, could it? Five years isn't that much. I'd be out when I'm twenty-four years old, and could continue my life.

"But that's not all, Simone." Dad looks down, then straight at me. Tears brim his eyes but don't dare fall. "You're nineteen now. An adult." He takes a long pause.