Six

(I'm envisioning Ryan Kelly as Nick. He plays Deputy Parrish in Teen Wolf. Kai is Chris Wood in case you haven't seen him in TVD)

S I M O N E
The moment we're in the hospital Nick hands me the files. There's no sketch whatsoever of the person who did this to my father. He's still knocked out, and I'm pretty sure I know who did it. If only dad would wake up and tell me it was Kai so I wouldn't have to spill the secret.

Nick steps out of the room to speak with the doctors as I bend down and sit in a small chair beside his hospital bed. That's when I see the small piece of folded white paper in his hand. Quickly I unfold his hand and pry the note away, to anxious to read it to take dads health into account. Unfolding the edges carefully, I reveal the letters.

Simone,
Let's call this motivation. I'm not afraid to take what I want, Simone. This isn't half as bad as what would happen if you told someone. Keep that in mind.
xoxoxo,
Kai

My head pounds as I reread the note as if the words will disappear and make new ones. I knew I was dealing with someone powerful. But I didn't know it was this bad. He must've got to dad this morning before the bus.

Nick walks in with a rather concerned face. Which isn't good either. "Your Dad, he'll be knocked out for a while. The marks on his head say that he was hit with something hard. Like a gun, crowbar, even the end of a knife."

The news makes me shiver and look back at Dad. Wouldn't Kai go after me, not dad. I have his secret, I'm the only one. So if he wanted to keep it, why not just kill me? Why not just save the trouble of threatening me and just kill me so he wouldn't have to worry about what I might say. It makes no sense. Hiding the note away in my pocket, I take a seat back down. "When will he wake up?" I ask Nick.

"Between now and the next hour. Depends how hard he was hit." He looks back at dad. Almost as quick as he said it, Dad shoots up in bed.

"Dad?" I yell.

"Sheriff?" Nick yells at the same time.

My dad struggles for words. He looks at me, then to Nick. "It was him."

"Who?" I say too quickly. If he spills Malachai's secret it isn't my fault. But Kai isn't that stupid is he?

Dad looks over at Nick, "Sketch pad, now." He snaps his fingers.

Nick turns to me and takes the blank sheet of paper. Then he hands it to Dad, who has already found a pencil. Within seconds he already has the outline of the face drawn. Nick takes a few steps forward for a few minutes and blocks my view. What if Dad sees it? What if he recognizes Kai's face and knows it's him. Kai would kill me, and then go to jail. No on can find out.

Nick steps away and grabs the sketch from dad. On it, is the perfect description of Kai Parker. His dark eyes and distinct features. Nick looks at it and nod. "It's the guy from Darkwood. We need to get an APB out on him quick," Nick reaches for his radio and starts talking out codes and orders. He looks down at the sketch and describes him. But I don't say anything.

Dad looks at me, still not speaking. Then he looks at Nick and tells him to leave the room. What?

"Dad, what is it?" I ask, worried.

"The guy who hurt me. He told me something..." His voice cracks in sadness.

"What, what is it?"

"He said," Dad clears his throat, "This is a warning. Her only warning." Dad pauses. "Do you know this man?" He gestures to the drawing.

Shaking my head before he even gets the question out, I take a few steps closer to him. I want to tell him, and I probably should. But the threats that would come with it would be unbearable.

"Take this picture to the station. Ask them to run it through the computer for a match." Dad hands me the paper. He's asked me to do these things before. But never once had it meant life or death. "Tell Nick to patrol around town for the suspect." He coughs and puts a hand on my arm, giving me a steady glare.

Nodding, I take the picture and walk towards the hallway. Right as I'm walking out the door, something grabs my forearm. Nick's eyes find mine and search for something. "Go patrol. Sheriff's orders," I fake smile.

It's like he's deciding over something. Shaking it off, he runs his hand up my arm to my shoulder. The touch shouldn't be so intimate as it feels. His conscious slowly battles itself over letting his hand travel higher. "He'll be okay."

The simple sentence has more meaning than it sounds. My mother wasn't okay. My brother wasn't okay. My father wasn't okay. But this sentence he just said, it's a promise that he will be okay. Nick's eyes scan mine before taking a step back. He nods once and turns down the endless hospital hallway.

Following him out slowly, I come across the conclusion that I do not have a car. Looking across the parking lot, green eyes catch mine as Nick waves me over to his police car. "Need a ride? Get in." He smirks as I make my way over.

Getting in shotgun, I pull my seatbelt over my chest.

"If your bad, I may have to arrest you and put you in the back." Nick turns and points to the cage-like back seat. He's so childish and inappropriate when Dad's not around. It's quite funny, actually. Nick puts the key in the ignition, drawing my attention over to him. "Station we go?"

Nodding, my eyes graze over his light brown deputy's suit. His gun is strapped to his side and his badge where it's supposed to be. I've never really looked at him before. Like Looked at him, looked at him. He'd make a good husband for someone. Not me.

Nick drives me to the station and let's me out. When I'm out, he leaves to go patrol the area for Kai. And I'm forced to stare at the haunting drawing eating it's way into my memories. But when I'm dropped off, I don't go inside. I walk towards home. The whole five miles.

The woods surround me as I hike down the small highway, alone. Cars pass me, but one catches my attention. Then the voice behind me, calling out. "What's a fine girl like you doing out on the freeway?" A sickening voice yells out the window of the black car that slows down behind me.

Kai's face peers out of the crappy rusty car that he clearly stole since the window is broken. My stomach drops at that moment.

Just kill me.