Eight

S I M O N E
Nick doesn't wake me up in the morning, so I get up on my own. Nick is quietly making breakfast in the kitchen and smiles when he sees me. "Morning, Kitten."

My heart sinks and I gave to grab the counter to stay upright. I even have to take a second to make sure it is Nick, and not Kai. "Don't call me that." I say sharply, not meaning to come off so rude as it was. It takes me a second to notice my pajama pants have kittens all over them, which makes me feel bad that I had called him out on it. He is just trying to be nice, and affectionate. But that one word makes me think of him.

"S-sorry." Nick looks at me, quite confused actually. He has no idea about my extra curricular activities with Kai. I wouldn't say that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kai was stalking me.

Kitten. God, that boy ruined everything for me. What used to be a word that reminded me of fluffy brown eyed young cats now reminds me of death, and Kai. Which are basically the same thing. "It's fine. I just don't like it."

"I always used to call you that..." He makes a sad face, but I'm serious when it comes to fear.

"Make up something new. You're good with nicknames." Smiling, I try desperately to lighten the mood that I'd somehow darkened in the last thirty seconds. Memories of Kai come back to me, ones that I'm still trying to get rid of.

"I made breakfast." Nick fakes a smile and stares at me.

"Thanks." I look at him as he tries to look away from me.

"You've been different lately." His brows knit together in confusion.

"Yeah. Like how?" I wonder.

"More clingy." He laughs at his own answer. But that's not an answer I had been expecting.

"Oh." I avert my eyes and look around. "Sorry."

Nick takes it differently. I expected him to think something's wrong but he clearly thinks I have a crush on him. By the way he blushes, I can tell. Nick slides a freshly made pancake onto my plate and makes himself one. He sits at the table beside me in complete silence.

This is what I know about Nick Adams...
He is single, and hasn't dated anyone since I've met him. His mother bakes apple pie. His mom is older, his father, dead. He has been a deputy since he came here. Just graduated college then became our deputy. He also loves animals, and is quite smart. Favorite color is blue. But that's all I know about his social life.

After we are finished eating, Nick speaks. "We have to go pick up your father at three. We have four hundred movies and countless things to do until then."

"You know me so well, Nick." I laugh.

"Well, I am your best friend." He shrugs and puts the plates in the dishwasher.

"You're my only friend." My tone is unemotional which sends him the wrong message. He heads into the living room and rummages through the movies in our cabinet. It's odd to see him out of his deputy jacket. He is wearing a v-neck now, and some grey sweats. His muscles are showing and I mentally punish myself for staring at him.

"What movie?" He changes the subject.

"How about... Woman in Black?"

"Oh Nick, you and your scary movies." I laugh and begin to make the popcorn.

After the movie we got to pick up Dad. He happens to be yelling at the nurse the moment we walk in. "Hey Sim." He stops bickering and smiles.

"Glad your feeling better." A smile appears on my face before vanishing.

He nods and cracks his back as he stands, making his way over to his stuff. He is already dressed and ready to leave this hellhole. He practically drags me and Nick out the door in a hurry. Nick decides to drive us home, and watch over Dad for the rest of the night. "Did you get a match on that sketch I gave you?" Dad asks.

"No." I lie. I didn't even turn the sketch in in the first place. "John Doe."

My phone buzzes. One new text message from unknown.

Unknown = Did you know that psychopaths cannot be successfully treated and 38% of them show abnormal brainwave patterns? I didn't know that.

I didn't even have to know the name to guess who would have thought of that fun fact. But I know I shouldn't reply. But he notices that I'd read his message.

K = Are you ignoring me, Sim? You know I don't like to be ignored.

Finally, I find the courage to text back.

S = Leave me alone.

K = I'm offended, I thought we were closer than that.

S = I'm sick of your games, Kai.

K = What games?

S = You know what.

K = Come on, Sim, you and I both know that you want me.

I scoff and don't reply. I don't want to be the one fueling his psychotic wants or needs, or whatever.