Three

S I M O N E
"I-I.." I stammer. The dark haired boy stares at me intently.

"Cat got your tongue?" He asks, glaring at me.

I'm looking into the eyes of a murder. There are so many ways this could go. I could run, panic, hit him, I can do anything. "I wasn't aware anyone lived here...I'll just be leaving."

"Oh, please. Why don't you come inside?" He throws one arm back to gesture at his home. The same home that was in the newspapers.

My breath catches.
He smiles at me for a second and nods. "Let's just cut the crap, alright? You don't think I remember you from last night?"

"No, I-" and he cuts me off again.

"You what?" He narrows his eyes and all I can see is black in them. After a few solid minutes the boy speaks again. "Here's what I know..." He pauses, "You are the sheriff's daughter. You're the girl from the magazines."

I step back a bit and he just walks a few inches closer. "I don't know what you're talking about," I step further.

"Where are you going?" He looks at my feet as I move away. "Listen, we can pretend like we don't know each other, and go our separate ways. But what's the fun in that?"

I cannot even picture the look on my face right now, I cannot even make words.

"Because let's face it. You and I both know who I am. And I can't let anyone figure it out...." He steps forward even more.

Jumping back, I feel a sudden rush of bravery. "Well I have, and there's nothing stopping me from going to the police." Idiot. Why must I be so damn naive?

"I am." Malachai states.

Then everything goes black.

When I come to, there is a tremendous pain in the back of my head as if someone hit me with a shovel. And by recalling what happened before, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. When I move I feel the resistance of ropes against my body. I try to scream but I'm unable to do anything with the band of plastic adhesive over my mouth. The blurry images before me are slowly but surely pieced out one by one.

I'm in a kitchen. There's a small amount of light coming through he curtains and judging by the looks of is outside, it's almost sunset. How long have I been out? Movement before me brings me back to reality and what's happening now. Malachai stands in front of me, holding my phone and tapping the screen like he's texting someone.

"Oh, look whose finally awake." He sets the phone down on the countertop next to him. My eyes dart to see what's on the counter. Freshly washed knives, silverware, plates, dishes. Knives. If I wasn't screwed moments ago I am now.
Screaming, I try to move my lips to get off the tape but Malachai just starts laughing. "No one can hear you. It's only miles and miles of woods surrounding this place."

If I could talk I'm sure there's plenty of remarks and things I could be screaming right now.

"I believe we need a proper introduction."

Why would we need a proper introduction when he's just going to kill me?

"First," he reached towards me and grabs a small price of duct tape then pulls fast and hard. A stinging shot of pain makes me yelp slightly. "That's better."

My eyes narrow in anger. "What do you want?" I spit.

"Oh. I don't want anything." He stops himself. "But, I can't have anyone knowing I'm here, can I?"

Again I begin to struggle against the ropes that are holding me back. "Let me go. I won't tell anyone who you are."

Malachai laughs. "And who am I?"

"Malachai Parker, you murdered your whole family mercilessly." My eyes judge him, narrowing as they meet his.

"And you are Simone Alexander. The girl who burned her little brother and mother. There's not much of a difference, you and I." I'm not sure where he's going with this or what he's up to.

"There's a big difference!" I yell before I can think of a proper response. "Murder is different from an accident."

"Accident? That's what they're calling it." He rolls his eyes.

"We both know you are a monster." I shake against the ropes.

His eyes twinkle at the word. Like somehow I've brought up another topic. "Who even names a kid Malachai? It's like they wanted me to kill them." He changes the subject out of nervousness. Dad trained me to interrogate. I know the techniques.

"Do you even feel guilt? Who would do something so...drastic, impulsive, monstrous, viscous." There's that word again.

"Don't even get me started on that, sister." He points a finger at me and paces about in the kitchen and faces the opposite way. He reached for a small sharp knife and grabs it from the counter, tossing it about in his hands.

Scoffing, I decide to change my approach. "Malachai please, just let me go." Let's see if pissing him off will do any good.

"First of all, the name is Kai and it always has been! And second of all, I'm not letting you go anywhere!" He yells. I've hit something.

Kai steps towards me with the knife, causing me to gulp. "Please...."

"C'mon. Judging from the newspapers I'd be doing you a favor." He smiles as if it's a game.

"A favor?" I yell. "You weren't there!"

"True. True, but the papers say enough. Word gets around." He argues.

"Lies. All of it is lies!" Tears threaten to come but I won't let them. That's what he wants.

"We have something in common, you and I," He restates, wanting to break me, "We both killed our families." he studies the blade in his hands and looks down as he fumbles with it.

"You killed your family. I-I didn't." I stumble for words.

"You did," he nods, "that's what the papers say."

"The papers are wrong!" I slam my fists down into the chair but my arms are held down by ropes. He gives me a satisfied smirk and backs off and sets the knife down.

"Okay. Then you tell me what happened." He pulled up another chair and sat down.

"It was late. I was four years old. My mother...wasn't there. Father had died recently. My brother went upstairs to bed. And that's when I found the matches. I dropped a lit match on the floor and....I was the only one to make it out."

Kai looks at me and suddenly his gaze is unsteady.

"What?" I ask and avoid eye contact.

"Liar. You killed your family. Cold blooded like I did." He throws up the barrier again.

"I didn't. You did. It was an accident." I look at the ground as I struggle against the ropes. Kai just leans against the counter in silence as if he is in deep thought about something. "I didn't mean to," I whisper.

"It doesn't matter if you didn't mean to because they're dead!" He snaps and turns in a half-circle.

"Just please let me go. Please." I'm begging now.

He picks up his small dagger and slams it down into the wooden countertop. It sticks straight up and makes a loud noise. My phone buzzes multiple times on the counter. Kai picks it up and taps a few times.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Your dad believes you're out with a friend." He smiles wickedly and sets my phone back down.

Shaking my head. "I won't tell him the truth."

"You won't." He nods. "Because if you will...you won't live long."

Kai moves behind me and starts untying the ropes with the knife. My breath is caught and I can't breathe until they're loosely around me. I stand quickly and grab a knife from the counter. But when I turn around. He's gone.