Eleven

S I M O N E
The headlights of my father's car shine through the window. Malachai had left just fifteen minutes ago, and Nick hasn't woken up yet. What am I supposed to do? I've pulled his body so it looks like the flower pot from the cabinet had fallen on his head. Then I took the knife and hid it in my room. Maybe it would prove itself useful there. Nick groans from where he lys, causing me to rush over to him. There is no need to fake the tears since they are already streaming down my cheeks. "Nick?"

"W-what happened?" He squints and glances around, his hand going to his head immediately.

"The vase fell on you. I was so worried I-" I look at him, sniffling.

Lies, more lies.

"I'm home!" Dad calls from the kitchen and walks into the room, freezing immediately. "Deputy?"

"Dad t-the vase fell on him." God, I was always a terrible actress.

"Call 9-1-1." Dad looks at me and I struggle for the phone.

Nick groans in confusion. "What happened?" He asks again as if he doesn't remember that he had asked the question recently. Does he believe me?

"9-1-1 what's your emergency?" I had barely noticed that I'm holding the phone already.

"My friend- he is hurt. I think he has a concussion." I tell the nice lady my address and wait. The phone drops from my hands and I head over to Nick, who is struggling to stand. My phone buzzes a few times but I am forced to ignore it.

"What happened?" Nick asks again.

"What did happen?" Dad asks me and hopes for the truth. But they will be lies.

"We were just talking and he bumped into the dresser and it just fell..."

"You alright Nick?" Dad is patting the younger man on the back and standing him up.

"Thirsty, but I'll be fine." He seems distant. And confused.

"Don't eat or drink anything." I blurt out, "you'll just throw it back up." I say and grab an ice pack from the freezer and press it against Nick's forehead. Green vibrant eyes bore into mine.

"You're pretty." He giggles as if he were drunk.

"You're confused." I laugh and press the cold pack to his head.

Why do I feel so guilty? I didn't hurt him. But I did tell him. Kai warned me and I didn't listen. I should have listened. Dad returns from where he had been grabbing some washcloths and handed them to me. I grabbed them and began whipping the blood from his head where the "vase" had hit him.

"You're pretty." He repeats like he never said it. My cheeks go red slightly at the compliment. Dad scoffs and stifles a laugh. Does he know that Nick likes me? Because earlier Nick had kissed me.

"And you are hurt." The sirens come blaring and Nick stares out the window.

"It must be Christmas." He slurs and coughs up a little blood. Kai hit him quite hard. Damn.

"Shut up." I smile and help him up and let him lean on me to get outside. Paramedics come running to get him into the ambulance and thankfully they get him inside.

"You are allowed to ride with him." One paramedic says to me and Dad.

"I am going to go pick up his mother and bring her to the hospital. You're free to go with him." Dad turns to me and I nod as I get into the ambulance. Nick's shirt is ripped open and people gather around him. They aren't too frantic because it isn't all that bad. Nick throws up once then lays back down in his small makeshift bed.

The ambulence drives us to the hospital and finds a room for Nick. The small comfy chair becomes my friend and I wait a little time for the doctors to check Nick out. Nick eventually falls back asleep. "He seems to have a minor concussion. He should be able to head home tomorrow, just needs rest." The doctor informs me.

"Thanks Doctor...Parker." I look at his name tag. How ironic. However, Malachai likes to hurt people, and this man seems interested in helping them.

The doctor eventually leaves the room.

"Sim..." A raspy voice says from the bed. Nick looks up at me and fakes a small smile.

"Hey, Nick." I smile and walk back over to him. He looks at me and I can practically see the questions in his eyes.

"What happened?" He wants the truth. The truth that I am not giving.

"You ran into the cabinet." I giggle, only a little bit.

"Oh. Uh. I had the strangest dream. It s-seemed so real." He clutches his head. They have medical tape on his foreheaed and had to stitch the place where the knife had hit him.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, even though I already know everything about today's events.

"I'm good." He blushed at our closeness once again.

Oh- honey!" A feminine voice yells. When I turn, I come face to face with Nick's mother. She runs over to Nick and gives him a hug the moment she sees him. She happens to be an older woman, but not too old. My father follows her in and looks at me for a second. We greet each other before I look over to Nick.

"I better get going. It is late-" frown and look at Nick. He nods at me and looks down at his hands.

"Thank you." He looks at me for a second "I will see you tomorrow."

Nodding, I look at Dad and hug him. Afterward I head into the hallway and basically dash towards the door.

I need to get out of here. I need to breathe, and I need fresh air. Perhalps I am going through some sort of panic attack or something. But I need to get out. The second I walk out the door, the moon becomes visable and I am able to concentrate. I don't have to lie and act anymore. Nick is safe. He believes me.