Twenty

(new Kai story- check it out?)

S I M O N E
At some point I decided it was a good idea to get back inside the car. I'm not sure if I was in my right mind at the time.

But I figured; hey, we're in the middle of nowhere and I have no clue where we are. So why not get into the car with the murderer again? Makes perfect sense to someone having a mental breakdown.

"That's better," Kai says when I've finally quieted down.

Wisconsin. That's where we are. I'm not sure where that is, but I know it's in America. How long have I been out? Oregon is far from here. I really don't know shit about Wisconsin. "Where are we going?" My voice cracks.

"I'm thinking Virginia. There's a small town caled Mystic Falls-" he thinks for a moment before shaking his head. "You know what, I'm not really welcomed there. So why don't we go...hmm. Where would you like to go?"

Those sentences seem to shatter me even more. "You took me and don't even know where you were going to take me?"

Suddenly questions fill my mind. What about Nick? Dad? What are Ethan, Avalon and Nakota doing? What are people going to think of a young serial killer running away? That's right. Serial killer. Wait, I'm not a serial killer. I'm a pyromaniac. You have to kill more than three people, right? Well Kai seems to achieved that status. "I'm just seeing where the road takes us," Kai says casually.

"Such a hippie," I mutter under my breath and return to the window where I fog the glass.

"I wouldn't sass me from now on, kitten. Im in the driver's seat." He hums loudly as he turns up the radio, which is now currently on ESPN. The car stops, and then I realize it's stopped in front of a motel.

"Why are we here?" I ask, really exhausted as of now.

"Because I can't sleep in this piece of shit for another long ass night." Kai says before getting out of the car. He slams his door, scaring me and making me jump out of my seat.

Kai walks into the motel and doesn't hold the door open for me. In fact it slams in my face.

Pushing the door open, I walk in behind Kai up to the lady at the front desk. His smile isn't faultering, which is making me nervous.

"One room?" She asks, smiling at me. She is wearing an apron thing and looks like she has been working a lot.

"T-" I begin to disagree.

"Yes." Kai smiles brightly, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

"Wait-" I object but he is already grabbing the key from her hands and handing her his money.

Kai grabs my shoulder roughly and drags me past the lady, who is smiling warmly at me.

We go through the narrow hallway and stop at one of the doors, which Kai opens quickly and steps through. I follow obediently, feeling like a dog almost. Kai jingles the keys obnoxiously.

We both sit in silence, just staring at each other. But then my mind makes the bright decision to start yelling. "Why?"

"Why what?" Kai smiles as he snickers sinisterly.

"Why me? Why the fuck do you torture me? Why kidnap me, Kai?" I scream at the top of my lungs, not caring if the lady at the front desk hears. "I was living a normal life."

"Normal?" Kai snaps bitterly and roses from his seat like he is some sort of God. "You killed your family and burned them alive!"

"Wow..." I shake my head and avoid from letting him know that I'm crying. "That's low..."

"I'm low. I was basically raised in hell with satan, kitten. So go ahead...throw your pathetic insults at me!" The veins in Kai's neck are more visible now.

"You're a monster! A fucking psychopath, Malachai! Maybe a sociopath, I don't know what the difference is! Maybe you're both! You killed your siblings in a heartbeat! I loved my brother dearly, but I was an idiotic child who got to close to the matches! You blame me, they blame me, dad blames me, Nick blames me, hell, the whole town blames me! But none of you were there. I was. And I listened to my brother die. Do you know how that feels? Yes, you do know, don't you? Well news flash Kai, I didn't want to hear it. You did." I'm screaming, my face is red judging by the mirror in the corner of the room.

"I'm sick, Sim. Not many people are like me. You are! Maybe I see a similarity, in my own sadistic way. Because the truth is, I need someone! Someone that feels the non-existent guilt I have and understands it!" The words tumble- more like slip- from his mouth.

I stop talking there, narrowing my eyes at him. Is this why he took me? This is his reason?

"Then why did you take me?"

"Those people aren't your family. They aren't like you. I'm the only one who understands your pain. You're more like me than you are like them..." He shakes his head and cuts the conversation there. But I want to hear more.

"I've grown used to them..."

"You're an alien to them. Trust me, I know how it feels. There's things about me you don't know. But trust me...I know how it feels to not feel normal. Out of place. Distant. Alienated" Kai shakes his head angrily.

"How would you feel? Your sickness covers all your guilt!" For some reason these conversations are benefiting us, and telling me more about him.

"Like I said, There's things you don't know." He says and picks up the remote, immediately stopping whatever conversation we were having.

But I want to know.

My thoughts stop as he begins yelling at the television. "The Patriots are winning? What the fuck is this?" He seems naturally pissed, which is kind of funny actually. I guess he must want Seattle to win considering it's closer to home.

I've never been one to watch football. Nick and Dad would always be watching it in the living room, but I never actually paid any attention at all. But right now I want the Patriots to win considering it's the team Kai doesn't like.

Suddenly thoughts of Dad come back to me. It's been a week since I saw them. I was unconscious for most of the drive here.

Kai watches the game from the small smelly couch in the front of the room. This is one of the motels I wouldn't be too surprised to see a cockroach under the bed or in my hair.

Kai shouts at the opposing team, shaking his head in disappointment as a fight breaks out on the screen. Then Kai just starts snickering. "Bet they wish they could kill each other." He says as he says the next part quieter, "I know what that feels like."

It was around nine o'clock when I get tired. My eyes can no longer stay up on their own. Kai looks at the couch, then to me. "You can have the bed." He tries to be all gentleman like. But he fails.

"It's fine-" I start, about to let him have it.

"If you say so." He says selfishly and falls back onto the bed, ignoring my next few rude comments.

I switch off the lights and lay down on the couch, knowing I won't sleep.

Insomnia; inability to sleep.

Definitely how I feel in the same room as a monster. Kai clears his throat noisily. "Sweet nightmares, kitten."

I don't bother wishing him goodnight, because I really don't care. My eyes stare straight ahead at the now blank television. The streetlights peer through the window, preventing me from finding peace in the darkness. Coldness nips at my toes, making me curl up into a ball. Kai's snoring echoes quietly through the sparsely furnished room.

And like every other night this week, I cry myself to sleep.