Chapter 243

As Shirou sat on the throne, he summoned Artoria and Morgan and dismissed everyone else. Guinevere remained seated at the desk, engrossed in doing paperwork.

"My king, is there something you need?" Artoria asked as she approached.

Morgan smiled and was about to walk over, but Shirou stopped her, saying, "Stay where you are and don't move!"

Morgan's face froze.

Shirou put on his black armor.

Morgan's face froze even more.

Why was he so guarded?

Artoria stood still with a calm expression.

"I have summoned you to discuss the matter of the heir to the throne," Shirou stated.

Artoria gazed up at the king seated atop the throne, recognizing the familiar face that she had known for so long that it felt almost impossible to know it any better. An array of complex emotions swirled inside her.

Had the moment finally arrived?

The king wanted to leave...?

She felt uncomfortable but couldn't say why.

"Are you planning to abdicate?" Morgan asked.

"Yes," he replied, rising to his feet and lifting his foot as if to take a step forward. However, he hesitated and glanced at Morgan before retracting his leg and sitting back down.

In the absence of Merlin, he was cautious and preferred to maintain a safe distance.

"This throne was originally meant for Arthur, or Artoria," Shirou explained, his voice tinged with regret. "But for various reasons, I ended up sitting on it instead. As per our agreement, I should have returned the throne to her..."

Artoria's heart was overcome with emotion, and she spoke up hastily. "My king, I believe you should continue to reign on the throne."

"Are you trying to talk me over, Artie?"

"No, I..." she started to defend herself, but he cut her off.

"Please let me finish," he said, his voice gentler this time.

She closed her mouth and lowered her head, her golden hair falling over her face.

"I unified Britain and established our dynasty, spanning from northern Ireland to southern Gaul. As your king, I cannot allow a foolish successor to squander my legacy. Therefore, I have broken our agreement. Though you both have the right to inherit, I will choose only the most suitable candidate."

Morgan looked at him intently. "What do you want us to do?"

"I will evaluate each of you and determine who is more fit to take the throne," he explained. "To do so, I will grant you each territories to govern for a year. Based on your performance, I will decide which of you is best prepared to rule."

Morgan furrowed her brows. "And what criteria will you use for this evaluation?"

Shirou looked at her with a hint of annoyance. "Do you really expect me to give you the answer to everything? Are you becoming as foolish as Scathach? Don't waste my time with such questions."

Morgan's heart sank as she shrank under the king's domineering presence. Though she hid it well, his authoritarian manner secretly intimidated her.

Shirou proceeded to allocate territories, assigning the prosperous Cornwall to Morgan and the more rustic Tintagel to Artoria. He also appointed Bedivere as Morgan's official, but did not provide any support for Artoria.