Chapter 306

The group hopped into Reines' car and the vehicle swiftly whisked them off to their destination.

During the ride, Caules filled her in on the situation. It seemed his teacher had taken on a murder case involving a magus and was currently in the midst of investigating it. However, the killer's methods had proven to be quite enigmatic, and they required the assistance of Reines' Mystic Eyes.

Shirou already had a hunch about the identity of this teacher, given the hints dropped by Caules.

It was probably his old friend.

The sleek black car raced along the road, eventually screeching to a halt in front of a grandiose mansion. As the group stepped out of the car, even before they crossed the threshold into the room, a somewhat recognizable voice reached their ears from inside.

"...His hair was like a serpent's, and he met his demise through electrocution. It's possible that someone used him as a conduit to initiate the ritual."

Hearing that familiar voice, Shirou couldn't help but smile as he walked into the room, accompanied by the two others. Once inside, their gaze fell upon a charred corpse, surrounded by several people.

Among the assembled group, one figure stood out, capturing attention with his tall and slender frame and flowing locks of long hair. Positioned at the center, he gestured towards the charred remains, passionately explaining his findings, while the others fixated their gazes on him.

Upon catching sight of the three newcomers, his attention swiftly shifted to Reines. Locking eyes with her, he spoke with urgency, "Reines, I need your help."

"What do you need me to do?" she stepped forward and asked.

Shirou barely paid attention to their conversation, his focus instead drawn to Gray's face. She stood beside the young man, and Shirou found himself absorbed by her features.

Noticing his gaze, Gray reacted like a startled mouse, quickly pulling down her hood and taking cover behind someone, ensuring Shirou couldn't see her.

Though he caught Gray's subtle gesture, he chose not to address it, keeping his thoughts to himself.

His attention shifted back to the group of people gathered around the corpse, engaged in a heated argument at that moment.

The primary dispute unfolded between the long-haired young man and a woman in a kimono, their voices rising as they debated the cause of death.

"Isn't it already clear who the culprit is?" the woman asserted, her tone carrying conviction. "Whether it was the trigger or the hidden ritual, it's evident that he was murdered by his adopted son."

The young man countered with a question. "But what about the motive, Adashino Hishiri?"

She replied matter-of-factly, "Naturally, it's for the inheritance and the Magic Crest. From what I gather, the victim had no intentions of passing on the Magic Crest to his adopted son."

"I beg to differ. From what I understand, the son had no interest in pursuing the path of a magus. He outright declined his father's offer to join the magi community," the young man argued.

Adashino Hishiri posed a crucial question, "Then how exactly did the victim meet his demise?"

"That's precisely why we need to conduct a thorough investigation and base our conclusions on solid evidence. Rather than jumping to conclusions as has been the practice of your Department of Policies." the young man retorted.

Shirou's gaze shifted from the arguing duo to his watch, noting that it was 3:43 in the afternoon.

Not wanting to squander any more time, he stepped forward and voiced his thoughts, "You know, there's no need to make things so complicated. It's just a waste of time."