Chapter 309

Waver was quite "generous". After receiving compensation from the deceased's son, he wasted no time in inviting Shirou to grab a bite at a roadside barbecue stall, leaving him at a loss for words.

"Come on, eat more, don't be polite," Waver brought a plate of fried calamari and said warmly.

Shirou said somewhat incredulously, "So, this is what you call a grand feast?"

"It's already a big deal for me. I still have a 2 million debt to my teacher, plus a bunch of other miscellaneous debts, which adds up to a total of 3.74 million! Usually, I survive on bread crumbs and instant noodles, so this outing to a roadside stall is quite the treat."

"You, being a Lord, seem to live quite modestly, don't you? What about the Clock Tower and your students? Haven't they said anything about it?"

"Some factions do poke fun at me every now and then. But honestly, who cares? I'm not some coward who needs to hide behind a facade."

Shirou chuckled, "You've really changed."

"That's because someone told me that if I keep hiding behind a facade, I'll forever remain trapped in a narrow world. I made a promise to that person to become his loyal subject, so I can't allow him to look down on me."

As they savored their food and engaged in conversation, reminiscing about the past and sharing stories of their personal growth, Reines, Gray, and Caules, who had tagged along, attentively listened to every word exchanged between Shirou and Waver.

With the exception of Adashino Hishiri, who had already departed as a member of the Department of Policies, everyone else was present at the gathering.

Reines, in particular, had her ears raised high, keenly absorbing every valuable nugget of information that came her way.

"By the way, there have already been five incidents involving True Ether this year," Waver mentioned.

"Have the True Ether incidents been causing a lot of trouble in London?"

"Yes, unfortunately. Over the past few years, there has been a strange phenomenon where particles associated with the Age of Gods, including True Ether, continuously surge out from the ley lines."

"Has this kind of occurrence never happened before?"

"Well, it has, but it's been extremely rare."

"I see..." Shirou nodded, deep in thought.

It seemed highly likely that what Zelretch had mentioned held some truth—the Age of Gods was resurfacing, leading to disturbances such as the erratic movement of particles like True Ether.

Shirou, too, found himself at a loss when it came to this matter.

Even at this point, he had yet to uncover the underlying cause behind the resurgence of the Age of Gods.

For now, all he could do was eagerly await the information that Zelretch would provide, hoping it would shed light on the specifics and help him determine his next course of action.

He firmly believed that all wars should be waged based on information, and acting rashly was the epitome of foolishness. Therefore, upon hearing the news about the resurgence of the Age of Gods, his initial response was to maintain a composed and collected demeanor, rather than succumbing to panic.

"By the way, now that you're here in London, do you have any specific tasks or errands? If it's within my capabilities, I'd be more than willing to assist you," Waver offered.

Shirou nodded appreciatively and replied, "Actually, there is something I could use your help with."

Curious, Waver asked, "What is it?"