Day 9: A Heated Debate - DDW

Daithi had been at Tyler's for a few days now, and had just learned how to ride the dirt bike that day. He'd loved it, but he also felt as if he was going too slow. Tyler had told him not to push it too much, and to make sure someone was with him since he was so amateur, but he was a grown man, he knew what he was doing.

He waited until Tyler had left the house to do a store run, Keller going with him. He was alone for now, and he took the opportunity. He put the helmet on Tyler had let him use and grabbed the bike, cursing under his breath at the weight of it.

He pushed it out into the driveway and moved to sit on it, examining the buttons and triggers as he tried to remember what each one was. "Release clutch slowly, right brake," he mumbled as he tried to copy how Tyler kick started the bike earlier.

He managed it after about 7 kicks, grinning to himself. He got himself moving slowly, doing a slow circle to get the feel of it again. "Okay, faster now," he told himself and let the clutch go a bit by bit, the bike speeding up. He twisted the throttle and jumped a bit, but held on.

He grinned as he started moving faster, turning with the bike as he rode around the yard. He didn't hear or see a car pulling up, but he did hear, "Nogla what the fuck are you doing!"

He jumped and his hand fell off the clutch, the bike flying from under him. He fell hard on his back, his breath rushing out. "Oh fuck," he heard as he groaned, blinking up to see Tyler standing over him.

He tried to move but hissed at the spike of pain shooting up his spine, Tyler grabbing him and carefully hauling him up. "You stupid fucking Irish fuck, what the hell do you think you were doing?" Tyler hissed, pulling the helmet off Daithi's head and turning him around, hand moving down his back.

"I just, wanted to see if I could do it," he said, hissing as Tyler's hand touched an extra sore spot. "Take your jacket off," Tyler demanded and Daithi did so slowly, Tyler hissing at the small bloody stain on his back.

"Come on, we got to get this taken care of," he said, helping Daithi inside. He saw Keller bringing the bike back, but didn't focus on it much.

Tyler helped him pull his shirt off once inside, a pissed off concerned look on his face. "You tore the fuck out of your back, you've got a few gashes on your shoulderblade. This is going to sting," Tyler warned him, grabbing some peroxide and pouring a bit on the gashes.

Daithi hissed in pain, the burning increasing a moment before fading away. "I told you to not go out by yourself, you don't know what you're doing and it's dangerous," Tyler hissed and Daithi rolled his eyes.

"I'm an adult, Tyler, I don't need to be babysat," he grumbled and Tyler moved to glare at him. "David. Without proper knowledge on working one of these fucking machines,  you can be killed. Why can't you get that through your thick fucking skull of yours?" He said flatly and Daithi glared at the use of his name.

"I had a helmet on!" He insisted and Tyler grabbed his shoulders, shaking him. "The helmet doesn't fucking matter if you wreck into a building or tree and break your fucking spine or neck! Did you even think of what could have happened?" He yelled, shoving Daithi back a few inches before rubbing his forehead.

Daithi held his tongue, suddenly seeing the agitated look on Tyler's face. "If I'd come home and found you hurt or unconcious or dead, do you have any idea what that would have done to me? It would have been my fault," he said, Daithi freezing at the sight of the others hands shaking as he ran them through his hair.

"How would it have been your fault?" Daithi asked quietly and Tyler sighed. "Because I showed you the bike. Because I left you here alone. Because I should have known better, you're stubborn as all living fuck. I should have known you'd want to try again," he said flatly and Daithi shrugged.

"No, don't fucking shrug, David. We may fight all the time, but it would have crushed me to come home and find you dead. You're still one of my best friends," Tyler said and Daithi bit his lip.

Tyler sighed frustrated and picked up a wet wash cloth, moving behind Daithi and carefully wiping away any remaining dirt and blood off his skin.

"I'm sorry," Daithi said finally and Tyler huffed. "Just, don't do it again, okay?" He said and Daithi nodded, feeling guilty.

Tyler placed some bandages on Daithi's back and picked up his shirt. "I'm going to wash this. Just, go," he said quietly as he walked away and Daithi watched after him, feeling extremely guilty.

Keller walked in and glanced at him, indecision on his face. "I got the lecture Keller, I don't need another one," Daithi said quietly and he shrugged.

"He probably didn't tell you his utter panic in the car, did he," he said and Daithi frowned, shaking his head. "No?" He said and Keller shrugged.

"He saw you on the bike and nearly jumped out of the car while it was still moving. Which would have been extra bad since he was driving. Tyler takes his friends' safety extremely serious, which is why he has so many helmets and rules for his things," he explained and Daithi sighed.

"I need to make this better, I already apologized but, I know it's not enough," he said and Keller shrugged. "It's up to you," he said and left the room, leaving Daithi to his thoughts.

He got up, wincing at the burn in his back but headed to his room. He found a loose shirt and tugged it on, standing there a moment debating internally.

He went to find Tyler, finding him in his own room. He was standing by the window, arms crossed as he looked over the yard. Daithi could tell he was still very tense, and that guilt Daithi felt bubbled up again.

He walked quietly over to Tyler, hesitating a moment before placing a hand on his shoulder. Tyler didn't look over, though Daithi felt his skin jump.

"Tyler, I really am sorry," he said and Tyler clenched his jaw. "I'll do anything to fix this, really. I'll, I'll go home if you want me to."

Tyler finally looked at him, emotions swimming in his eyes. "No, I don't want you to go home. I just, fuck man, you scared me," he said finally and Daithi looked away.

Tyler sighed and pulled Daithi into a tight hug, carefully avoiding the injuries on his back. Daithi hugged him back, resting his forehead on Tyler's shoulder.

He felt the tension leak from the other, holding onto him tighter. "I can't stop picturing coming home and finding you hurt or worse," Tyler muttered and Daithi pulled away, placing his hands on his face.

"I'm okay, really, I am. I'm a naturally clumsy person, I get hurt all the time. But I'm fine, I swear," he tried to reassure him, seeing the tears building in the others eyes.

"But if-" Tyler started and Daithi covered his mouth with his hand. "No ifs. I'm not going to do it again, I promise. Past is past, and there won't be a situation where this could happen again. I'm okay, I promise. I've learned my lesson," he said, pulling his hands away.

Tyler swallowed, taking a deep breath. "Okay. Okay, you're right. Fucking hell," he muttered, rubbing his forehead. Daithi watched him a moment, chewing on his lip.

He pulled him into another hug, Tyler holding on just as tightly. Neither noticed Keller walk into the room, pause, then turn around and leave. This was all they needed right then, a reminder that they're okay.

Short and simple. Yeah, I don't think this really is a heated debate but, kinda? Idk, I spent way too long today trying to figure out what they were going to argue about but this was all I could come up with lmao. My husband said to do Pokémon but I know nothing about it, so they'd have been arguing about squirtle and charizard for all I knew. Oh well, I hope yall enjoyed! I actually updated on the day it was supposed to be updated! Lmao

~Banana