Chapter 4: Relationships may get worse before they get better

Yuuki was very much panicking right now, even though no threathening gestures were yet made against her. In her defense, being under Ajimu Najimi's gaze was pretty terrifying in itself.

She knows. Of course she knew, this girl was pretty much omniscient.

Wait, should she adress to her as a girl? She knows Najimi is much older than she looks like, so wouldn't woman bw more fitting?

Why the hell is she even thinking things like those at a time like this? Oh...Oh, right. She's panicking. That's why her mind is all over the place.

Was that how people felt when they were in a direct confrontation with her son? Now she understands why they were so prone to stupid decisions.

Najimi:You know, even if you share genetics that doesn't necesarry mean the child will be alike the parent.

Yuuki:E...Eh?

Najimi:Kumagawa-kun is a very good liar, even I find it difficult to discern his true emotions. You, however, are very bad at hiding your emotions.

She supposed that was true. Kumagawa surely hadn't inherited his cunning nature from her.

Now that she thinks about it, it'd be impossible to have inherited it from her for former husband as well. Is that what you call a genetic mutation.

She has no idea how this things work. Keep in mind, she was nothing more than an otaku and an office slave in her former life.

Najimi:There's no need to be so on edge. I simply wanted to add an topic of discussion.

Yuuki:I...Is that so? Is reincarnation such an casual thing?

Najimi:More than you'd think. You know, perhaps because there are so many stories about this subject reincarnated people think so highly of themselves. That's why the lot of them end in such stupid deaths. It's pretty funny!

Yuuki:I see...

Yuuki let out an awkard laugh. She has no doubt the woman in front of her was the reason of many of the deaths of there individuals in over their heads.

Yuuki:Well, you don't need to worry about something like that from me. I have quite the self preserving instict, Ajimu-san.

Najimi:There's no need to be so formal. I'm treated like that in school like some greater than life person...Honestly, it's kind of tendious. I much prefer the informal affectionate way Kumagawa-kun uses when talking with me.

Yuuki:A...Ah, I see. I'll keep that in mind, Anshin'in-san.

Najimi:Thank you. I must say you raised that boy really well. I think he may achieve great things.

Yuuki:Well, I'm happy you're so sure of it.

Najimi:No, that's not it.

Yuuki:Eh?

Najimi:I don't know he will. I think he will. He really is just that unpredictable. I'm used to just know things and just watching everything unfold as a mere observer. Yet, for the first time in this uselessly long life of mine...For the first time, I actually have expectations for someone.

Najimi watched forward woth an longing look, after which giving a chuckle at how ridiculous it was for her to feel this way after all this time. For the first time since the beggining of this conversation, Yuuki had a genuine smile on her face.

As someone who only read a manga before, she could only theorize from that how those events went. But now it's clear that it's not just sime simple interes, Najimi seems to genuinly care about her son.