Chapter 27:Sword jokes are alwais good

After Kumagawa got rid oh his headeache he stood up from the sofa and moved over to the desk that had a nameplate labeled President. As he took his seat, he began working.

He sure had a meticulous, or just a serious, side of him. To be able to start his Student Council work as soon as his headache went away.

Kumagawa:[All right, all right, thanks to you I'm in perfect condition. It feels like I just can't live anymore without you, now.]

Saki:What's with that, suddenly? That's kind of disgusting...

Kumagawa:[Actually, even in this game from Anshin'in-san, I probably wouldn't have gotten this far if you weren't here, Saki-chan.]

Saki:What are you saying, really? Kumagawa-kun, please stop joking around.

Kumagawa:[No, no, even a person like me can get serious or not get serious once every thousand years or so.]

Once every thousand years...That was way too low a frequency.

Kumagawa:[Even in Teppou-chan's Russian Roulette and Utsubogi-chan's swimming showdown, I definitely wouldn't have made it these two or three steps forward without you, Saki-chan. If it weren't for the perfect advice you gave...That is, your hints.]

Saki:Well, I wasn't intentionally giving you hints...But if whatever I said ended up being a hint for you, then I feel like that's just a coincidence.

Kumagawa:[Haha!]

She was true to her statement. Yet, he choose to laught that statement off.

His mentality was really hard to read. Not that Kumagawa had a heart or logic in the first place, most likely.

Kumagawa:[Well, if you want to be modest, then go ahead. As for me, I'd like it if you would continue to support me with that in mind.]

Saki:Continue to...Ah, you mean the second stage?

Kumagawa:[If that's what you want to think, then go ahead.]

Saki:...Since you were able to clear the first stage, the first quest, there are only three stages left, right?

Kumagawa:[Right. According to what Anshin'in-san told me in my dream, there's absolutely no overtime.]

Saki:I see...

She didn't know how far they could believe the words of the gamemaster herself, but for now, she supposed they couldn't do anything but believe them. As players, it wasn't like they had any other information they could rely on.

Kumagawa:[The first stage was a swimming showdown, so maybe the second stage will be a cycling showdown? I can get pretty boisterous when it comes to road racing, you know.]

Saki:...No, you've gotta be kidding. That reminds me, Kumagawa-kun. What did you do with that 'Hero's Sword'? I think you said something like, you wouldn't be able to take home something so long and conspicuous, so you were going to leave it in the Student Council office...

As far as she could see, that unsheathed sword was nowhere to be seen in the office. Had he cleverly hidden it somewhere so that outsiders wouldn't find it?

Kumagawa:[Ah, it's in the cleaning supplies locker right now.]

Thinking he was joking around, Saki flusteredly went to the locker. But when she opened it, the sword in question was right there, mixed among the brooms, mops, and dustpans.

Even her hope that he'd covered the blade by wrapping it with some cloth had instantly been dashed. It was a completely naked sword.

It was kind of amazing how carelessly leaving such a dangerous weapon like this in such a place actually made it not seem dangerous at all. Lined up with brooms like this, it almost looked like just another cleaning tool, it seemed like a convenient tool for scraping out things that were caught behind furniture.

Saki:By the way, Kumagawa-kun. We've been calling it the Hero's Sword this whole time, but does this sword have a formal name?

Kumagawa:[A formal name?]

Saki:Yeah. No matter how I see it, the Hero's Sword is just a nickname, right? There has to be a name like Excalibur, or Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, or the Cursed Muramasa...

Kumagawa:[I dunno. Actually, I feel like Anshin'in-san told me something like that...But I forgot. Ehehe.]

As he laughed Saki figured that if reincarnation was a real thing, she doesn't want to be Kumagawa Misogi in her next life. But she couldn't help but think it would be pretty funny.

Saki:From what you understood, Kumagawa-kun, you thought that you'd have to exterminate something using this Hero's Sword, right? But since Utsubogi-san, the one in charge of the proceedings, ended up being hospitalized, we don't have any more hints for the next stage...

Kumagawa:[Good grief. To think that she would get a leg cramp and drown! What a pathetic Swim Club member.]

Saki:I'm pretty sure she wasn't hospitalized because of that, though...

Kumagawa:[But there's no need to worry. Because Anshin'in-san properly followed up for me in regards to that. I've obtained the key to the next stage.]

Saki:I see...So that Anshin'in-san wasn't just appearing in your dreams to make you unreasonably suffer from headaches.

Kumagawa:[Class 1-3, seat number 31. Who's XXXXXXXX-san?]

Is he for real? Why would he censor her name like that?

Fortunately, as the information regarding the student's year, class, and seat number had been disclosed without being censored, she had been able to recall the name of that student. Class 1-3, seat number 31.

She was the classmate of Utsubogi Mei, the Swim Club member who had been hospitalized due to Kumagawa, she belonged to both the Kendo Club and the Iaido Club. She was what you'd call a double club member.

Saki:...I see, I see, so the opponent that you'll fight with a sword is going to also be a sword-user, too. Or, wait, swords and katanas were different, right?

Kumagawa:[Eh? Is that true?]

Kumagawa tilted his head, even though he's the one that told her that just yesterday. Was he just living his life and chattering away that irresponsibly, this guy?

Kumagawa:[I didn't know about a viewpoint like that. For swords and katanas, I didn't know about a viewpoint like that.]

Saki:Eh? Were you perhaps making a pun on viewpoint (kenkai)" and "sword (ken)", and "didn't know (shiranakatta naa)" and "katana"? Why would you go out of your way to make trouble for yourself like that?"

Kumagawa:[Well, you see, if I keep going with gags that are absolutely hilarious, then that'll just become the new norm. Sometimes I just need to say something unfunny to set the rhythm. Even pitchers need to change it up sometimes, right? No matter how good a pitcher is, if he keeps pitching fastballs, then eventually the batter will get used to it.]

Saki:I don't think you generally had any gags that were hilarious, though...Normally everyone cringes at them, you know?