Chapter 25: Another day, another quest

As Kumagawa opened his eyes, he also didn't open his eyes. After all, this classroom did and did not exist at the sane time.

Now call him paranoid, but he thinks there will be some hardship in his immediate future. Judging by Najimi's too pleased with herself face, he's got another quest on his hands.

Najimi:Heya, good afternoon. It's been a month, hasn't it?

Kumagawa:We talked yesterday.

Najimi:Eh? We saw each other just yesterday? Did we really? I dunno about that. Ahaha, when you've lived as long as I have, one day feels about as long as one month, you see. You'll have to give me a pass for a mistake at that level.

If only it was a month ago he wouldn't have to deal with that headeache. He borh loved and loathed their interactions.

Najimi:Your life will end up being rather lacking if you spend your whole life picking at other people's mistakes, you know. Well, though I say that, you might be the kind of person that wants to do that, being such a contrarian and all.

She tilted her head back and made a hum with her lips closed. It looks like she was gonna go in another rant.

Najimi:Kumagawa Misogi-kun. The Minus that crawls from chaos, Kumagawa Misogi-kun. Thinking about it, you've grown quite accustomed to this tagline, too. Anyway, in accordance with my instructions as gamemaster, you've managed to brilliantly clear Stage 1 and obtain the Hero's Sword, but of course your battle has only just begun. We're really still only at the start. You've heard from Utsubogi, right? This game I've come up with, which I may as well call the Anshin'in Game, consists of four stages in total.

She brought her hand up, raising four fingers. To show his current situation she brought one of those five fingers down on her palm, leaving only three raised.

Najimi:And for now, you've only cleared up to the very first stage. So good luck on the remaining three stages. Ah, and I'll say this in advance, but this game has no overtime, no world beyond the game's end, so you can be at peace since I'm Anshin'in-san. Games these days have gotten quite large and grandiose, and, to put it poorly, way too swollen. So that's why, in times like these, I've made sure my game became nice and compact. I've folded it up rather neatly.

Kumagawa:That's a surprise.

Najimi:I wonder if acting contrarian like this is a personality trait that showd up from being sealed by your Book Maker? Or was it something that was within me all along? It's something to think about, isn't it. Well, feel free to think about it as much as you'd like on your own, since I'll keep going.

Kumagawa sighed at her remark. She just won't let that go, will she?

Najimi:Tomorrow...Well, in terms of the date it's already today, but anyway. Tomorrow, I'll have you go straight into challenging the second stage of this game. Stage 2. This matter has already been decided, so you have no right to refuse. Well, you're free to refuse if you want to, but if you do that when you have no right to, then I'll throw a temper tantrum. If you're going to be mean and not play along with my game, then I'll mess you.

Kumagawa:You say that like it's something new.

Najimi:Ah, but maybe I won't mess you up? Surprisingly enough, perhaps a threat like this might work better on you right now. If I said that I'll mess your friend up. Although it kind of just sounds like I'm saying, you can count on me to mess your friend up.

For the first time in a lomg while since those meetings a change was made on Kumagawa's otherwise unchanging face. His frown remained, but it was a little more accentuated this time.

Najimi:Ahaha. Don't make that face. Of course I'm joking. Has there ever been a time when I wasn't joking? And I don't even need to check with you to know that you wouldn't refuse to play a game with me. After all, it allows you to come into contact with me that much more, which is convenient for you in looking for my weak points.