Chapter 14: Searching for the hero from level 1

Suisou's Student Council Room had it's desk tasked with papers upon papers. It was something Kumagawa was very much used too, having been the Student Council President of Hakoniwa in his last year of middle school.

However, that didn't mean it was something enjoyable. Especially with Najimi's never ending monologues from last night.

Kumagawa:[...Saki-chan, do you have any medicine for headeaches?]

Saki looked at Kumagawa, who laid on the sofa after having finished his task for today. She might've attribued his mood for a lack of sleep, but by the way he was pressing his head on one of the sofa's arms his head must indeed hurt.

Saki:If you're asking about headache medicine...Shouldn't there be some if you go to the infirmary?

Kumagawa:[Mm...]

Apparently, going to the infirmary waa too bothersome to him. He really was just like a child, wasn't he?

Although it was something new to see Kumagawa be so passive. Saki does have to admit that it's strangely endearing.

Saki:If it hurts that much, then maybe you should just go home for today? You've done all the work you need to, too. I can do everything that needs to be done after school on my own.

This sight has brought a smile out of her, making her do an benevolent act towards him. But there was no way Kumagawa wouldn't trample on that benevolence.

Kumagawa:[I'm not going. If I leave now, what will become of this academy?]

Saki:Um, I don't think anything will happen to this place just because you left early for one day, Kumagawa-kun...

Kumagawa:[It can't be helped. I have no choice but to lie here and rest on this sofa until after school.]

Saki:...I didn't know you liked school that much, Kumagawa-kun.

Kumagawa:[Hahaha. School is the one oasis in this tough, desert-like world, after all. If possible, I'd love to spend my life on school grounds until I'm 100 years old.]

Saki:Sounds like a pain.

Kumagawa:[I'd love to build a penthouse on top of the roof and live there.]

Saki:Sounds like a crime.

Kumagawa:[I'd love it if I were buried in the schoolyard.]

Saki:Sounds like a ghost story. Ah, I see. Could it be that you're not going home because of your plans after school? Since you got that message from Teppou-san yesterday.

After Kumagawa had returned Uchi to her original state the girl had given him the message. After all that happened she didn't put up any resistance anymore.

It was in time too, exactly at 6 PM when the school closed. In fact, as soon as the go home music resonated through the school Kumagawa had made an statement about the beggining of some kind of game.

Strangely enough, Kumagawa seems to actually respect the closing school rule. It was way too random which rules he'd respect and which rules he'd break.

Having been with him the entire time, Saki had also got to hear the message. She could only think that today was gonna be pretty intense.

Saki:...If it's about Teppou-san's message, there's no need to expect it to happen today, right? It could be tomorrow, or even the day after.

Kumagawa:[There's no way I can do that...Since I'll be rushed along in my dreams in the end. That's the reason for this headache. Every night, I'm getting so naggingly pestered in my dreams, so it's hard for me.]

That woman just won't shut up bo matter what. Really, things were so easy back at Hakoniwa.

Kumagawa:[She hadn't been such a sadistic character in the past...What happened to the kind and considerate Anshin'in-san that everybody loved...]

Saki observed that everytime when Kumagawa spoje of this Anshin'in-san person, be it an nickname or an actual name, the way he acted changed. Really, who could even make Kumagawa like this?

She really starts to doubt that this Anshin'in-san was a human at all. Perhaps they were someone outside the realm of humanity.

Saki:I don't really get it, but in other words, you're getting a headache as a result of the bad dreams you've been having?

Kumagawa:[Well, that's close enough. If I have to describe it, it's like there's a tiny person living in my head, trying to spoon out my eyeballs.]

Saki:Spoon out your eyeballs, you say...Well, either way, it's not something you can easily cure just by going to the hospital...It's really something that makes you feel the limits of modern medicine, huh.

Kumagawa:[So you've come to the same conclusion, too, Saki-chan.]

He changed to a sitting position, grabbed the Weekly Shounen Jump magazine sitting on the table and put it in fron of his face while opening it at a certain page. It seemed like he was trying to use the Weekly Shounen Jump as a mask.

Kumagawa:[I would like to offer my congratulations from the bottom of my heart. That is, if I had a heart.]

Saki considers thinking that as a little bit mean. But it really felt like he didn't have one.

Kumagawa:[Well, if I can clear the game, I'm sure this headache will go away. And once the headache goes away, then in the same way broken bones grow stronger when they heal, maybe my brain will end up becoming a little more decent.]

Saki:If something like that was true, then I'd also like to offer congratulations from the bottom of my heart...Since it's not my problem, I'm even starting to hope for it a little. Really, it's only a little...

At this point she's praying that Kumagawa's headeache would lst longer so she can enjoy this peace a little bit longer. Usually she wasn't the kind of person who'd have such inhumane thoughts.

Saki:Then...It's fine if I just come by after school, right?

Kumagawa:[Right. And after we finish all our work, let's go together, Saki-chan.]

Kumagawa laughed listlessly as he said those words. In return, that only added to Saki's worries.

Kumagawa:[To find the Hero's Sword.]