Chapter 12:The old screw trick

They didn't have much time left after discussing about the strategy they came up with. However, they did manage to come to class 2-3 in time for Kumagawa to explain his strategy rather shamelessly.

Kumagawa:[...And so, Teppou-chan. The logical conclusion is that going first in Russian Roulette is overwhelmingly disadvantageous, so if you can push going first onto the other person somehow when deciding the rules, the probability of you winning rapidly goes up. It's not a surefire victory, but it becomes a much more advantageous battle for you, right?]

Of course, from Kumagawa's earlier warning Saki knew it was a strategy she would most likely deny the moment she heard it. Not only that, Uchi looked to be quite dissapointed as well after leisury waiting all this time in her seat.

Uchi:After all you said, I actually had high expectations from you, too. Never thought you'd actually come back with such stupid logic. Was that the only answer you got to, after thinking for over an hour? Sukinasaki-senpai, didn't you give him any advice?

Saki:I...

She did, she very much did. It just that Kumagawa acted like it never happened, like was using All Fiction again.

Of course, this time it was no macination of such a godly skill. Kumagawa simply ignored her opinion.

Uchi:Though I have to admit that you did a good job restricting the Russian Roulette conquest strategy to only the one-on-one version of the game. It's a good point to focus on, I'd say. But after that, you made a misunderstanding that a preschooler would make...

Kumagawa:[A misunderstanding? No, you have it wrong. This conquest strategy has no errors in it. I can even prove it mathematically.]

Uchi's face morphed, clearly having been filled with an unpleasant feeling. It's not like Saki can't understand, unpleasant is one thing people would feel when hearing such a thing from him.

However, such feelings of unpleasantness makes people lose their cool. Which mean, Kumagawa had more planned.

Uchi:Listen, Kumagawa-senpai. It's easier to understand if you think of it like a lottery, but in this game, there's no such thing as an advantage or a disadvantage. For example, let's say that there are six balls in a box...

Kumagawa:[Ahaha. It's useless to try and confuse me with an example like that. It's a self-evident truth, the fact that pulling the trigger first is worse. Even in a lottery, it's easier to win when you go first, right?]

Uchi was astounded to say the least, he really wasn't gonna let her get a word out. She looks to just have given up at this point.

Uchi:How am I supposed to report this to Anshin'in-san...Maybe because she's so clever, idiots are actually unusual for her. What a pain.

Kumagawa:[Hey, hey, it's fine to insult me, but could you not insult Anshin'in-san? Anyway, Teppou-chan, you're taking the position that it's not worse to go first, right?]

Uchi:I'm taking the position...Ah, well, sure. Yeah, yeah. That's my position.

Kumagawa:[In other words, when you and I play Russian Roulette against each other, you don't mind unconditionally going first, right?]

Uchi:...Well, yeah. I don't mind.

Kumagawa:[Then, shall we try it? Saki-chan, the gun and bullets, if you please.]

Saki:Ah, yes...

Saki quickly took the revolver and bullets, ready to load one bullet into the cylinder. However, Kumagawa stopped her before she could do so.

Kumagawa:[Ah, it's fine. I'll load them myself.]

Uchi:Hold on, don't try to pull any tricks when you're loading the gun or spinning the cylinder, Kumagawa-senpai. And, after putting the cylinder back, don't try to verify the position of the bullet, either. When playing Russian Roulette for real, it should be obvious that you should try to make sure you don't know where the bullet is.

Kumagawa:[I know, Teppou-chan.]

Kumagawa waved off Uchi concerns as he loaded the revolver with a practiced motion. Saki idly wondered hiw could he make such a motion, but had learned by now he's pretty good at learning things on the last minute.

One bullets was put into into the cylinder. Then two. Then three. Then four. And then five.

Uchi:Eh...Hey!

This action was enough to actually make Uchi lose her cool. She, almost reflexevly, stood up and slammed her hands on the desk.

Uchi:What the hell are you doing? We're playing Russian Roulette, right!? What's the point of putting all the bullets in!?

Kumagawa:[I didn't put in all of them. I just put five.]

Kumagawa spun the cylinder back into the gun, also with a practiced motion. True to his words, there was a single bullet keft un his hand.

Kumagawa:[It's not like Russian Roulette absolutely needs to be played with only one bullet, right? That's just a basic rule, and it should be fine to play with two, three, four or even five bullets. Even you implicitly acknowledged the existence of games with a pattern like that, after all.]

Kumagawa passed the revolver back to the now speechless Uchi. With no other option, she took it.

However, she made no movement to place it to her temple. In fact, her hands were trembling.

Kumagawa:[Huh? What's wrong, Teppou-san? There are no advantages or disadvantages to going first or second in Russian Roulette, right? Go on, pull the trigger.]

Kumagawa grinned as he spoke those words. As innocently as ge might look and as cheerful he might speak, that smile was no doubt horrifying.

Saki knew that the risk of this was beyond high, Uchi had one single chance of the bullet not shooting out.

And if she managed to hit that lucky empty chamber, then Kumagawa had no chance of not getting his brain blown out. A probability of 100 percents if that was the case.

Saki herself was rendeered speechless as well. Russian Roulette with five bullets did certainly exist, but playing it in a one-on-one game must be the blind spot Kumagawa found.

Uchi:...Upupu.

Uchi made a fearless expression. Even so, her body trembled while she held the gun even tighter.

Uchi:Indeed, this is certainly a conquest strategy. You cunningly get me to promise something and then change the number of bullets. But there's one major weak point.

Kumagawa:[A weak point? What is it?]

Uchi:It's that you just handed a gun with five bullets to your opponent!

With that, Uchi swiftly pointed the gun at Kumagawa. She lined the shot and pressed the trigger.

A gunshot revertrebed in the classroom. However, much to Uchi's ans Saki's shock, Uchi's body was blown away.

Uchi's body laid pitifully, face pointed towards thw celling. Scorch marks were present on her arms and upper body. The fragments of the exploded gun pierced her everywhere and her limbs were bend at hideous angles.

Saki:What...What might you have done? Kumagawa-kun?

Kumagawa:[I just put in a screw into the barrel of the gun. You know, the one I used to destroy the classroom lock.]

Saki:Did...Did you do it when you were loading the gun?

Kumagawa:[Well, strictly speaking, it was after that. It was when Teppou-chan was all surprised when I put five bullets in. That's something that anyone should be able to do. Up until now is the Russian Roulette conquest strategy I thought of. I told you, didn't I? In terms of probability, it's a five-sixths chance.]