Act 1 Chp 1.0: Survivor

"Ugh, I hate morning patrol."

Close to Springvale Town, two men are standing with their uniform, armor, and spear in their hands. It is dawn, and they just begin their morning patrol. The previous shift ended prematurely due to the storm.

That means the guard around the city would be loose during that period. Grand Master Varka, the leader of Knight of Favonius in Mondstadt, urges the Reconnaissance team and the Outrider to start patrolling as soon as the storm subsides.

"Stop complaining. We barely start our duty." His black-haired partner retorted.

"No need to tell me. I slept too well throughout the storm and now feel weary."

"Blame yourself, then." He sassed before he bossed, "Let's go. We need to move out."

Reluctantly, he follows his partner's command and moves on to the next point. In the middle of their way, they notice something ahead of them.

"Hey. Am I high, or do I see smoke?"

"No, I see it as well. That doesn't seem like something from someone's camping. Let's investigate!" His partner ran before him.

He soon follows his partner, approaching the source of the smoke. It doesn't take long for them to find the location, and they finally arrive. None of them expected what they see right now. They're so shocked by the scene before them that they don't even notice other people coming to the place.

"Hey, what's happen-!"

The individual who had just arrived at the scene was shocked. However, unlike the two, the older man rebounds and reacts almost immediately.

"Captain! This is-"

"Roger, help me to check the scene! I'll inspect the victims, and you examine the surroundings! Roy, you call everyone to come here! ASAP!" The older man ordered.

"Y- yes, sir!" The two answered in unison and did what he asked quickly.

Only the older man and the black-haired man are left there. The older man made his way to the bodies lying on the ground with a heavy heart. Deep down, he knows it is unlikely for them to be alive, albeit a faint hope from him to be at least a survivor.

The black-haired guy examines his surroundings, noting everything that should and will be report to his superior. Although he ordered him to do that, the older man quickly analyzed the scene. But no matter what, the lying bodies are the most striking to him.

The burned wagon. A man lies sideways with a slash wound on his front. The woman isn't too far from him and suffered the same injury on her back. Lastly, a young boy near the woman seems to sustain the worst, a stab right in the chest. That's all merely what he sees.

"Seth..." He muttered, recognizing one of them.

The pool of blood forces his feet to bathe in them. He checks his friend's body first before the rest. His body is cold and shows no beat in vain. Checking them one by one, he confirms none of them are alive. Nearing the boy, he catches the young man's chest expand lightly.

The older man widens his eyes when he sees that. He makes sure what he sees isn't an illusion by rubbing his eyes. Before he could check the boy's body, someone called him out.

"Captain, I bring everyone that could help!"

Knight members are swarming around the area. Just like ordinary people react, they are stunned by what they see. However, knowing there's no time to waste, the older man leads them to do what's necessary for the situation.

"Alright! Attention!" He gathered everyone's attention.

"I want you all to split into two groups. The first one will consist of the Reconnaissance members. Your job will be to look for clues about what happened and find anything related to the perpetrator, while my team will handle the victims. Understand?"

"Yes, sir!"

They swiftly execute the order they got. The first team disperse to scan the area and look further to find suspicious activity or individuals. Only a few are left to deal with the casualty, and one of them asks their leader.

"Is there any survivor, sir?"

"Right, the boy!" He ran to the boy's body and checked on him.

When the older man verifies the boy's status, he sighs in relief. The boy is breathing, and his heart beats slowly. Even though his appearance seems to tell about his injuries, his condition discloses otherwise.

It's a miracle to believe, but he's more than happy to know the boy is alive.

"He- he's alive..."

"Really?!"

Something falls from the boy when the older man tries to lift him. Those who notice look down and get surprised once again.

"Is it from him?"

"Yeah. That's not mine, for sure." The older man said, still carrying the boy.

One of them picks it up and gives it back to the boy.

"I'll bring him back to the Favonius Church to treat him. Can the rest of you deal with the bodies?"

"Understand, sir! Please leave the rest to us."

"Okay, I'll be back soon."

With that said, the older man moves quickly to the Church of Favonius in the city.

*CLICK*

A/N: Those two departments are responsible for patrolling unless I missed something based on the canon-game story. Amber and Eula have a voice line about it, so I find their jobs align to some degree.

Thank you for reading, and carry on!