4 | in the middle of the forest

The hooves of the horses trotted as the group ran across the desert. Y/n's butt was starting to hurt from the constant movement and her back was killing her, but they couldn't stop yet. Marco wouldn't allow them.

For the exercise, the 104th Training Corps was split into a two groups. The objective was to make a round trip to their target location and record their progress within a given time period. The trek was about forty kilometers in total. Marco was chosen as their leader, and Armin was documenting everything. Other than them, Y/n was grouped with Jean, Sasha, Eren, Connie, Christa and Mina. Both groups set out at the same time, and had to go through a huge forest. They were to trade information at the target location and return to the tarting point, completing the loop. The ability to sustain themselves in the absence of a crisis was evaluated here.

But it was just so boring.

Her back hurt. She was hungry. But the worst of all was the boredom. No one was talking — Marco was focused on his task as a leader and Armin on taking notes. Connie and Sasha seemed tired. She wasn't sure what she was supposed to be talking about with Christa. Jean looked bored as well and Eren was too far ahead.

''So . . . we're not allowed to rush?'' Marco asked, looking back at the group.

''No,'' Jean called from the back. ''We'd also be stupid if we did. We can take our time.''

They'd slowed the pace, which didn't help Y/n's boredom, but at least they were talking now.

Eren looked back. ''You don't know your lower limit. Jean, if you're going to take it slow, I'm going ahead.'' Eren made his horse walk faster.

''Wait, Eren . . .'' Armin called.

Marco stopped Eren. ''But, the formation of the group . . . What do we do, Jean?''

''Like I care!'' Jean called. ''Extra effort here won't get me into the Military Police.''

Y/n scoffed. ''Why're you asking him? You're the leader, Marco.''

Marco looked down. ''I know.'' He sighed and looked ahead. ''Alright, let's just continue with the exercise.''

''It's useless.'' Jean called again.

Y/n sighed, letting her head fall back. ''This is so boring!'' She called, then her head snapped back up, to Armin. ''Armin, don't you dare write down that I said that!'' Armin's pencil halted and he nodded under Y/n's glare.

''Don't you guys have any endurance for this?'' Connie asked.

''It doesn't matter if we're complaining,'' Jean said.

''It would be great if time passed faster in that case,'' Eren said.

Mina sighed. ''You're right. We have a long road ahead of us.''

Jean closed his eyes, mumbling under his breath. ''This is so tiresome.''

They continued riding their horses in silence for some time again. Y/n leaned down on her horse's neck, closing her eyes and trying to relax her back.

''Geez . . . That lizard's joining us on the same route, huh . . .'' Jean suddenly commented from next to her.

''It's rare to see that.''

''They're delicious, you know,'' Sasha said, causing Y/n to suddenly raise from her horse. ''They really are.''

Y/n's mouth fell open. ''Sasha, don't tell me you've eaten reptiles before.'' Y/n said before thinking better of it. ''Actually, knowing you, it's not that surprising.''

Sasha looked back at Y/n with a smile. ''My family and I used to eat them. They taste like chicken.''

''You can cook?'' Jean asked her.