9 | in the middle of home

Y/n stopped in front of the familiar house. Looking around, she noticed the different flowers her mother had planted in the front. It's really been a long time, huh . . .

She took a step closer to the door. Raising her fist, she was about to knock when the door suddenly opened. Her eyes widened and she quickly looked down. ''Y/N!''

Stella stood at the door, her long hair pulled back in two low ponytails. Her smile was missing a tooth, but it was just as big as Y/n remembered. ''Stella!'' Crouching down, Y/n hugged her seven-years-old sister tightly.

''Y/n?'' Her mother suddenly appeared at the door, a towel in her hands. ''Oh my! Y/n!''

Letting go of Stella, Y/n quickly hugged her mother. ''Hey, mom.''

''Oh, dear, I missed you so much! Come in, come in!'' Her mother ushered her in, closing the door behind. ''I just finished preparing lunch. Go on and sit down, I'll bring you something to eat right away!''

''Thank the walls, I'm starving,'' Y/n said, following her mother in the kitchen. ''Let me—''

''I told you to sit down, young lady!'' Her mother said. ''Stella, dear, take out one more plate, will you?''

''Yes, mom!''

Her mother rushed to the stairs. ''Leo, come downstairs!''

Y/n was surprised — she couldn't remember the last time she was home and didn't have to help with something. She moved back to the table, sitting down on her designated chair. Just then, loud footsteps thudded down the stairs.

''What is it?'' Leo suddenly appeared at the stairs. He tiredly looked at his mother before his eyes moved to Y/n. ''Huh? Y/n!''

Y/n got up again, smiling at her brother. "Are you too grown up to hug your sister?"

Leo scoffed, rolling his eyes at her before hugging her. Y/n realized how much taller he'd gotten; soon enough, he was going to surpass her in height, wasn't he? He's growing tall, just like dad.

No. Y/n shook her head. Don't get depressed now, Y/n. You can do that when you're back at camp.

The four sat down to eat, Y/n telling them about her time in the Cadet Corps, Shadis, flying with the 3DMG. About how stupid Connie and Sasha are, what an angel Marco is, and how Jean was slowly maturing. ''I don't know what's up with him today, though. He was refusing to visit his parents.''

''Maybe he's just tired from training, honey. You're both working hard and that's stressful,'' Y/n's mother said as she was putting the dishes away. ''Besides, Mrs. Kirstein left earlier, saying she would go visit him at your base. She had a feeling he wouldn't want to visit, either.''

Y/n spent the rest of the afternoon with her family, but she couldn't stay there forever. She decided to visit her room one last time before she left — she was sharing with Stella, who's side was messy. Y/n's side looked lifeless, except for the small framed picture on her bedside table. She picked it up, sitting down on her bed.

It was a family portrait from a few years ago. Before her father had . . .

It was rather detailed, despite it's small size. Y/n had been about seven then. Leo had been four, and Stella had been still a newborn. The artist had captured all of their smiles perfectly, as well as Stella's closed eyes. Her eyes fell on her father. She traced her thumb over his face. She felt like she was about to tear up again. ''Why did you have to . . .''

''Are you talking to yourself?''

Y/n's head snapped to the door. Leo stood there, his arms crossed. Sniffing, Y/n wiped her eyes and put the small frame in the inside pocket of her jacket. ''Shut up. What is it?''