32 | in the middle of orvud district

Y/n slid down from her horse, almost stumbling as she did so. Jean, who had just gotten off his own horse next to her, caught her before she could fall to her butt. ''Thanks, Jean-Bo.'' She managed a tight-lipped smile. The only one possible with how much her stomach hurt at the thought of what awaited them.

''Please gather your squad in the hall,'' a soldier told Levi. ''The strategy meeting is about to begin.''

''All right.'' Levi faced his squad that had just gathered in front of him, though his eyes were on a single person. ''Historia. We need you to do something.''

''Yes?'' Historia spoke, her voice weak and tired.

''Erwin's orders. When this battle is over, since you're the true successor to the throne, become the Queen.''

Multiple gasps escaped the Levi Squad. Y/n's mouth parted as her eyes flew between Levi and Historia, unsure of whether she'd heard what he'd said correctly.

''Queen?! Historia?!'' Sasha exclaimed, showing Y/n's inner feelings pretty well.

''The coup d'etat was successful, but the people won't follow a regiment sitting at the top. What we need is a story to spread. That a true heir retook the crown from the fake.''

''I . . .'' Historia shook. Y/n could see her fists clenching.

''Um, Captain, I'm sure you heard what Historia said earlier, but by leaving her father, she finally broke free from that burden, I guess you could say , . .'' Connie looked down as he spoke. ''And yet . .''

''What? If you have anything to say, say it.''

''Uh , , , um, in other words . . .'' Jean continued this time. ''Connie's trying to say Historia broke free from the Reiss family and has finally found herself. And now you're forcing her into that role again? Isn't that . . . Isn't that not fair to her?''

''All right.'' Historia's voice silenced Jean's passionate speech.

''Huh?''

''My next duty is to be Queen, right?'' Historia looked almost lifeless, her blue eyes staring at the ground. ''Understood.''

''Historia . . .''

''Thank you for the concern, but whether or not its forced on me is up to me to decide, I think,'' Historia reassured Armin. ''However . . . Captain, I do have one condition. Since my fate is my own, I want to lay it all on the line.''

It wasn't long before the whole squad was in the hall. All of them were lined up behind Levi — Historia walked in last, dressed in her gear like all common soldiers.

Queen Historia. Y/n would need some time to get used to that.

''You know,'' Mikasa spoke from next to Y/n. ''When you're Queen, you can punch that runt in the face.'' Y/n couldn't help but snort, earning her a few glances from her friends, but she quickly covered it up with a cough.

''We've determined the location of Rod Reiss' Titan. It's southwest, approaching Orvud,'' Erwin explained. ''At this rate, it should reach Orvud District by dawn.''

''Understood.''

''Commander Erwin, we'd all like to hear what your plan is,'' a Garrison member spoke. ''How do you intend to evacuate the citizens in time?''

Erwin turned to him, his face as serious as ever. ''We won't evacuate.''

Y/n blinked a few times, though she wasn't as surprised as the Garrison seemed to be. ''What?''

''We'll have the citizens remain in Orvud District, just as they are.''

It took hours before the Titan made it close to the wall. It was still pulling itself by the ground, slowly advancing. The Garrison had prepared all cannons they had available for the attack, stationing them both on the wall and the ground.