17 | in the middle of the family reunion

Eren . . . can turn into a Titan. People can turn into Titans willingly. If Eren can, can other people do it, too? How many are out there? How is this possible?

''Recruits are to maintain their equipment and wait for orders!''

They had nothing to do after that but wait for new orders. Y/n straddled the bench, sat facing Jean, though both of them looked at the ground. Reiner, Annie and Bertoldt sat on their table, too, while Connie told Ymir and Christa how they managed to save themselves.

''So everyone who's not here . . .'' Christa trailed off.

''Yeah,'' Connie said.

''Even Mikasa?''

Connie shook his head. ''I thought she came back with Jean and the others,'' he said. The three looked over the sullen group.

''Jean, don't tell me Mikasa got hurt,'' Ymir said. Jean didn't react.

''Hey, what's wrong?'' Connie asked upon the silence.

Y/n drummed her fingers anxiously on the bench. Jean took a gulp of water before spoke for all of them. ''We were ordered to keep that confidential. I can't say.''

''Confidential?''

''Although it's not something they can keep under wraps for long,'' Jean continued. ''It's only a matter of time before everyone finds out. That is, assuming people live to hear it.''

Right. The Titans were still out there. We would have to go back and fight them again. I don't want to go back. I don't want to die. But if we don't do it . . . who else would? We can't let the Titans have Trost. I can't surrender my home like that. Mom, Stella and Leo have to have a home to return to. Are they even okay? Did they make it out in time?

Dad . . . is that why you did it?

Y/n felt like she couldn't breathe. She stood up, causing Jean to look at her. ''Where are you going?''

''I wanna try and see if they'll let me where the refugees are,'' Y/n said, looking down at him. ''I need to see if . . .''

Jean's eyes widened. ''Right. I'm coming with.'' He stood up as well, looking at Connie. ''We'll be back soon.''

The refugee spot wasn't far — no one really asked them why they were there, either. Jean and Y/n walked in silence as they looked around, trying to spot their families. With each passing second, Y/n grew more anxious. What if they didn't make it?

''Y/n!''

Her head snapped back, seeing Stella running over to her. Y/n almost cried from happiness. ''Stella!'' Y/n crouched to hug her sister as she reached her, cradling her head. Never in her life has she been so relieved. ''Walls, I'm so glad you're okay. Where are Mom and Leo? And have you seen Jean's parents?'' Y/n let go of her sister, inspecting her from head to toe. ''Are you injured or anything?''

Stella gave her a gap-toothed smile. ''We're all fine! Come, I'll bring you!'' Stella grabbed Y/n's hand and started leading her to where the rest of their families were, Jean right on their heels.

Mrs. Kirstein, Leo and Y/n's mother were huddled in a corner; her mother had tear stains on her cheeks as Mrs. Kirstein rubbed her back, talking to her. Leo was leaning on the wall with his arms crossed, looking at the ground.

''Mom! Mrs. Kirstein! Look!'' Stella yelled, causing all three of them to look up. ''Y/n . . .'' her mother whispered, her hands over her mouth.

''Jean-Bo!'' Jean's mother cried in relief and rushed over to her son, bringing him in a tight hug. ''Are you okay, boy?''