29 | in the middle of jean's dumb plan

"The Survey Corps murdered civilians! Some of them have fled capture! They're still on the loose! If you see any of these people, report to us immediately!"

"I told you! They were behind that Titan battle here that destroyed practically everything!"

Y/n tipped her hat — the one Jean had bought for her a few years ago during their Cadet days — walking in front of him as he kept his head down, too.

"And now they're planning to have that monster Eren wipe us out!"

As if Jean knew she was going to jump the two men, he put his hand on her shoulder. She looked at him and he gave her a shake of his head, causing her to scoff. He was right, of course. If she attacked more civilians their position would only worsen.

They hid in the forest now. No one was sure how long it will be until this hiding spot got discovered, too, but it was better than nothing.

"Give me that." Y/n snatched the paper from Jean's hand and looked through. All of their names were written on there, however only Captain Levi's face was drawn. It didn't resemble him much, though. "If my mom got her hands on one of these, she'll kick my ass." Y/n chuckled at the thought.

"It's not like we can go home while we're still fugitives," Jean commented.

Y/n handed him back the paper. "Right."

"Captain, we got the supplies you asked for," Jean said as he, Y/n, Armin and Mikasa returned to camp.

"The Military Police were handing these out. If this is accurate, the Survey Corps has been disbanded." Armin had handed Levi one of the papers. "I heard they'll be hunting for us tonight. They're also going to guard the major roads, so we won't be able to get through without a pass. Captain, what now?"

"If we don't hurry, Eren . . ."

"Calm down." Levi cut Mikasa off. "They're using wagons. They won't reach the Reiss estate for at least a day. We can use that time to come up with a plan."

"Captain, I hear something," Sasha suddenly said, causing everyone to look at her. "They're coming this way."

Y/n touched the shotgun that lay on the grass next to her, sharpening her ears. She could hear it; the grass crunching under boots. They're close if I can hear them, too.

———

A trap was set to catch the two MPs with Armin as the distraction, and Levi and Mikasa as the captors. The two were stripped of their equipment and uniforms and Armin and Mikasa tied their hands with rope.

Y/n stood facing the south, her cloak covering her back as she held a shotgun in her hands. She took peaks over her shoulder every few seconds to keep an eye on the situation.

"Captain," she heard Jean say.

"Stohess District Military Police, Private Marlowe Freudenberg." Levi spoke as his boots crunched the stones under them. "And Private Hitch Dreyse, same assignment. What should I do with you two?"

Y/n's eyes narrowed. He's bluffing, right? He's not actually going to do anything to them . . . right?

"It's your fault that more than a hundred people from Stohess District got killed!" the girl, Hitch, said.

"Huh?"

"Hey!" Marlowe called.

"Maybe you think you're bringing justice to humanity, but you sent all those victims and their families to hell!"

Y/n had a vague idea of what had happened in Stohess — Jean had told her most of it once they were promoted to the Levi Squad and she could imagine the destruction must've been similar to Trost. She understood their point, really.