22 | in the middle of the baiting

''Why are we at a tourist hotspot?'' Jean asked as they rode on the outskirts of a forest. ''This is nowhere near the destination or our starting point.''

They'd caught up with Christa's group and were now following her leader. ''I have no idea. I have no idea, but it was Commander Erwin's decision. I suspect there's a reason for it.''

''And just what would that be? Is he planning to hold a welcoming ceremony for us new recruits or something?'' Jean almost scoffed. He looked over his shoulder. ''You alright back there?''

Focus. But he's so warm. Focus. I wanna rest my head on his back. Focus. Focus. He's so cuddly. Ew. Did I really just think that? Focus. Y/n had been tried not to fully lean onto Jean's back and properly cuddle into him cozily for the past twenty minutes. Why did she have the urge to do that? It was so weird, especially at a time like that. I'm not supposed to feel like this. I don't like him like that. She scolded herself in her mind. Shut up, shut up, shut up! You're in the middle of an expedition! Focus!

''Y/n?'' Jean called again when he received no answer.

''Fine,'' Y/n mumbled, looking at the trees.

''I doubt the Commander is holding a party for us, Jean,'' Armin said.

''Tch, I was joking.'' Jean looked back at Armin. ''No matter the reason, we can't afford to stop here. We'd be crazy to do anything but pass through here to head elsewhere.''

''All soldiers, halt!''

After the horses were tied to some trees, the seven soldiers stood in front of their superior, who told them they were to position themselves in the trees with their blades in order to be able to intercept any titan that attempted to enter the forest. Jean tried to question him, but the Squad Leader simply flew up to assume his position.

''What the hell is going on?'' Jean asked. No one had an answer.

Not even five minutes later, Y/n stood atop a thick tree branch near Sasha and Mikasa, leaning on the tree, waiting. The rest of the recruit duos had joined them, each person occupying a branch. Y/n had positioned further from Jean — she needed some time away to clear her head. Besides, she'd hurt him enough for the day.

''Man, I'm so hungry,'' Sasha spoke low enough so the Squad Leader wouldn't hear them.

Y/n's stomach rumbled at that. ''Me too. I wouldn't even mind having some cold stew right now.'' Even if it's my last meal. She shook her head. She can't think like that right now. She quickly changed the subject. ''Can you hear anything coming, Sasha?''

Sasha listened closely. ''I can hear—''

''5-meter-class incoming!'' the Squad Leader yelled.

Y/n looked up, seeing a titan with a big belly running towards them, its head lolling to the side. Y/n's eyes narrowed. ''Just one?''

Sasha stood up from her crouching position. ''Are you complaining?''

Y/n shrugged. ''I don't know. Not really? But why're they making such a big deal out of the situation if there's no titans around?''

''Talk quieter, Y/n,'' Mikasa said from the branch next to Sasha's. ''The Squad Lader will hear you.''

It was as if Y/n had trigged them — a few dozens of titans now stood at the bottom of the huge trees, clawing and looking up at the soldiers. Y/n held her blades out, looking down at the titans, realizing why they'd been put here.

''What now?'' Sasha asked, looking down as well. She looked worried, hesitant. It was understandable. ''Do . . . Do we fight them? All of them?''

''No,'' Y/n shook her head. ''There's no need. They're attached to the big amount of people around here. That's how we'll keep them out of the forest . . .'' Y/n looked up at Mikasa, who was looking back. '' . . . where Eren is.'' Right. They're using us as bait to keep Eren safe. Eren, who can regenerate and has titan superpowers. Great.